What holds a bath in place?

Just bought a bathroom suite with steel bath from Focus in order to create a downstairs bathroom for 95-year-old F-I-L who has moved in with us.

The bath has snap-on brackets with adjustable feet. The instructions say it must be fixed using bath constraints (not supplied!).

Can anyone throw any light on what this means? Is there a standard device which I can buy, or do I need to invent something to stop the bath going walk-about?

Reply to
Set Square

Fill half Full and Use a full tube of silicone around the sides (adjoining the wall!) and let set for 24hr

Reply to
Dave Jones

I've seen some brackets in a bathroom shop which screwed to the wall, and then had a clamp mechanism which caught the edge of the bath and held it tight against the wall. I asked about them and the shop claimed the only came with that bath (which wasn't the bath I was buying). So I made some more crude ones using a small L shaped bracket, with one of the limbs bent right round so the bracket was the shape of a question mark. Screwed them to the wall with the top of the question mark gripping the rim of the bath and pressing it to the wall, with the screw going through the hole between the body of the question mark and the dot, if you see what I mean;-) I also siliconed the bath to the wall, having previously found dry rot in a similar situation where water had been leaking through the gap. The silicone is probably holding it in place more securely than the brackets -- just hope I never need to take it out.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Sometimes wall brackets are supplied. If not then where the length of the bath meets the wall,fasten a wooden batten on the wall so that the underside of the lip of the bath will rest firmly on the batten. You can then screw home made clamps,or offcuts of wood onto the batten to clamp the bath to it.

Reply to
tarquinlinbin

I have just done the same, And found that the manufacturer recommends clamping to the wall if the bath is adjacent to a wall. They make brackest as optional extras. I looked at the picture of their bracket and bent up a similar one form an old venitioan blind bracket. Note the steel bath took the brackets directly. The plastic one I fitted before had to have a piece of timber to support the egdes as well as brackets (supplied).

mike

Brilliant! Many thanks.

Reply to
Set Square