What has happened to gloss paint?

Failure to give an example noted, as is your turning away from that which is to be sprayed to that which is sprayed.

Reply to
Steve Firth

From the household point of view it will depend on what you intend to paint and in what substance;

Architraves, skirting boards, stair rails, banisters, dado rails, picture rails, window frames, decorative mouldings (perhaps in different colours), certain jobs like stippling or graining cannot be done with a modern spray gun, only the good old fashioned methods will prevail here.

Sometimes it is far more convenient to brush than to spray.

Brushwork needs almost no masking, virtually no waste and no overspray, plus if you spray in a household gloss (synthetic) you will get heavy overspray which can ruin items if it is allowed to settle even if you use an HVLP spray gun. Paint material has to be sufficiently thinned and gloss paint in particular is often over thinned in order to get paint material through the nozzle, over thinning can destroy the paint quality in terms of durability because overthinning weakens the paints primary foundation.

Spraying certain types of varnish would be totally unsuitable where a thicker layer of material would be required to build up and work upon to produce a deeper gloss finish that could not be achieved by spraying even by applying several layers or coats, the finish would still be inferior using traditional varnish and paints.

ste

Reply to
ste

I've managed to spray paint all of those in the past.

But those finishes look vile.

Not so.

Sometimes, but that's a logn way from "cannot be sprayed".

Brushing uses more paint, and hence more waste than spraying.

Then use an appropriate finish.

Only if one uses an inappropriate type of gun.

Hmm, I disagree. Commercial finishes are mostly sprayed,

That too.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Incoherent as ever

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Steve's meaning is perfectly clear. Unlike your posting, since you have deleted the context.

Reply to
Huge

You appear to be, and if you could only make my comment appear so by deleting all context and half of what I had written. You appear to have a bug up your butt about me, so why don't you just f*ck off?

Reply to
Steve Firth

Was your sister in law at the checkout, buying paint brushes from the trade counter when she died?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Insides of jam jars.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Only if you have the lid on, or if it's full of something.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I think it's German. IIRC the advert syncs better with the lips on German TV.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Yes but you've omitted the ones you can't spray.

Not in the situation of painting a stately home where picked out colours are essentially part of the decor where spraying would never be considered.

Again that would depend on what you intend spraying, emulsion for example would be fine but not oil paint.

No appropriate finish can be put through a spray gun in terms of fallout/overspray, irrespective on the appropriate type of gun.

Yes but we're not talking about commercial finishes though, we're talking about household finishes.

You cannot spray a varnish on a door and expect it to have a class finish, these type of finishes have to be worked and built up with several layers and i don't mean building up with lacquers.

Not so, You have to wet flat each coat and build up layer upon layer to obtain the best quality result, this can't be achieved by simply just using a spray gun, it would take far more applications to build up layers of sprayed paint than brush applied because the brush applied finish is always much thicker.

Not so, A sprayed thinned gloss will be less shiny than an unthinned brush applied gloss. >

We are not talking about spraying cellulose or using commercial car finishes, we're discussing modern household finishes afterall.

ste

Reply to
ste

Excuse me while I laugh out loud.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Ok, you're excused.

Reply to
ste

How long have you lived in a stately home?

Reply to
Steve Firth