What happens when the canister explodes ?

Vegetable oil. Like it says on the tin... but I guess that was covered in foam by then and illegible. B-) It's not an instant removal but does lift it off.

I've only used foam once and also found that that it sticks instantly to unprotected skin. Next time I use foam I'll apply vegitable oil first and still wear gloves...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

BTDTGTTS - only once... Me, the garden, the house, and the neighbours' house and garden ended up covered in small white pellets of the stuff. I was well popular.

Acetone (proper nail-varnish remover) works reasonably well as a solvent

David

Reply to
Lobster

BTDTGTTS - only once... Me, the garden, the house, and the neighbours' house and garden ended up covered in small white pellets of the stuff. I was well popular.

Acetone (proper nail-varnish remover) works reasonably well as a solvent

David

Reply to
Lobster

white spirit whilst foam wet

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Hope this gives someone a laugh despite my mishap.

I have cavity wall insulation and this morning I decided to use a professional expanding foam gun to put some expanding foam into the cavity before I put a brick in and then rendered over it.

All was going well until suddenly, without any warning whatsoever, I presume because of the pressure in the canister, the gun exploded and foam started squirting everywhere. Although I was prepared with thin plastic gloves for the job I was dong, this was no match for the amount of foam.

I managed to get my finger over the canister nozzle, but I could not hold it for long due to the pressure. I finally stuffed the canister into a mound of earth nozzle first.

Oh what a mess. I certainly got more insulation than I had bargained for.

However, with the foam all over the place and on my hands, I could not clench my hands as my fingers kept sticking together. The wife was out also so I had to fend for myself.

Without the proper spray that you clean these guns with, how would you suggest cleaning your hands ?

I tried hot water. Cold water. Washing up liquid. Isopropanol, finishing up with moisturising cream. The latter seems to have done the best job of all I just have a really greasy look to the palms of my hands now.

Jim

Reply to
the_constructor

If its still wet, nail varnish remove (acetone) - that is what the cleaner cans are mostly composed of. If its dry, hard luck, get used to it for the next few days! It will shift with abrasion over time (pumice stone perhaps)

Reply to
John Rumm

the_constructor :

I'd head straight for the Swarfega.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Probably the best would be what I think every DIYer should have in his shed, and that's cellulose thinners. Dissolves almost anything that water won't. But get it in 5 litre cans for a little over £10, rather than the very expensive way Halfords sell it.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob Graham

(I've just about run out. Some question for isopropyl alcohol, too, I've only a splash of that left.)

(Answers own question; Automotive paint supplier?)

Reply to
Huge

Old but still funny.

Baz

Yes, but I also find that motor factors (or, at least, one near me) sell it.

Reply to
Rob Graham

all these years.

Reply to
1501

I had a similar (but smaller) incident recently when I dropped a part used cannister, and it landed on the valve, jamming it partly open. I found cellulose thinners worked on the uncured foam on my hands.

Reply to
<me9

You can get Isopropyl or Isopropanol as some call it from your local chemist for about £5 for 500mL

Reply to
the_constructor

An interesting conundrum, PU foam or PU adhesive. What's hardest to remove from skin?

Reply to
1501

and:

John Rumm