what gauge galvanised mesh for garden brazier?

What thickness of wire would people recommend for galvanised mesh to be used in a garden brazier for burning household waste such as cardboard etc.?

Needs to be thick enough to withstand the heat and thin enough for me to be able to bend it to shape and cut it using ordinary bolt-cutters.

Thanks!

Harry

Reply to
Harold Davis

Harold Davis wrote in news:XnsA3D7A52177EF5harolddavis@213.239.209.88:

(...)

Or a small angle-grinder!

Harry

Reply to
Harold Davis

Or recycle the cardboard. Don't your local council collect paper, cardboard etc?

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Race

Don't bother with galvanised mesh.the zinc will burn off the first time you use it. If you use it regularly then rust wont matter, if use is rare and long life neede use stainless welded mesh.

Gauge around 2mm should do.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Pointless using galv, it will burn off the first time you use it. I would get some rebar from the builders merchant.

Reply to
harryagain

How are you going to fix it there? I was amazed to note that many years ago the fire got hot enough to melt solder the guy had used to retain his bit of mesh. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

What is the stuff they make those dustbins with holes out of, Looks like cheap tin and it looks plated and it does not come off though does discolour. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

He shoulda had welded it

Reply to
BobH

Simple galvanising. It does burn off on first use.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I used a 40 gallon drum with the top cut off and a few holes near the bottom, without any looking after at all, it lasted for 3 years before its bottom fell out.

Slightly OTT, but this is interesting.

When I can collect it I have great plans for a container that I have inherited. It is about 4' high 12" dia with a solid bottom and open top. It's made from 1/2" stainless, no idea what grade but ex a chemical works. There is a small removable flange close to the base through which I intend to force air in. It may be small but I'm hoping the forced air will speed up the burning process, mainly garden waste. If nothing else it should be fun. Slight downside is that it is blooming heavy!!

Reply to
Bill

"Brian Gaff" wrote in news:m30p31$vdj$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

I'll be using spaced concrete blocks at the bottom and then some more further up, so gravity for the bottom bit and just folding it over the blocks at the top for the walls, I thought.

Harry

Reply to
Harold Davis

And that will last about 3 months, tops. The first time you use it, all the galvanising will melt and run off, and then it will rust like crazy.

Reply to
Huge

Those aren't quite "one use only", but if left outside, not far off it!

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

It will fail ....you burn in it, and you can expect it to rust badly & then fall apart.

Reply to
rick