What fixings for hanging TV on stud wall

Looking to hang a 32" or a 42" TV on a stud wall. Haven't decided which one yet, but weight is likely to be somewhere between 10-15kg.

I also intend to use a bracket with a cantilever arm - something similar to this one:

The bracket has only two fixings holes, one above the other, so not much of a chance of hitting a stud.

My plan is to fix a small piece of plywood to the wall, just large enough to allow it to be fixed to a stud, and fix the bracket to it.

Questions:

  1. Would 12mm plywood be sufficient, or shall I go for 18mm? When the arm is not extended I want to keep the TV as close to the wall as possible.

  1. Going to fix the plywood to the stud using coach screws (e.g.

  • drywall fixings on other side. But how do I fix the bracket to the ply? A link to Screwfix etc would be much appreciated.

TIA.

Reply to
JoeJoe

Good idea, but remove the plasterbaoard there FIRST and put the ply behind the plasterboard when you put it back.

Then a skim of filler and a quick sand plus a lick of magnolia and you have a wall with a mounting plate that doesn't look s**te

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You choose a position where you do hit the stud :)

Or use the bracket I did:

which is designed to span a pair.

It will need to span 2 studs to be any use.

For your wall, and teh size of the TV you need a bracket that spans some area.

No where near!

or shall I go for 18mm? When the

Next size up IMO.

Doesn't matter - you need to assume the TV is as far out as the arm will go and it will exert a pullout force on the top fixing (which you only have one) of at least twice the weight of the TV. Now add a kid yanking on it - so build a safety margin of another 2-3 times in.

I would put captive nutserts in the back of the ply and use set screws (bolts).

Reply to
Tim Watts

Out of stock, but I am sure there are others.

Make complete sense, but have never come across them.

Many thanks!

Reply to
JoeJoe

OK - Well I would look for a slight alternative anyway. That one was a tad stiff at the joints[1] - but otherwise very well made. There are others in a similar format.

[1] Rotates fine, but stiff to pull out and push back.
Reply to
Tim Watts

We do a lot of these in hospitals.

12mm

the nuts and big washers at the back. Cut off excess thread. If you are mounting on the surface of the wall make dints in the plater to take the nuts/washers. We use M6 bolts and 6 x 20mm washers. Paint the bolt heads before use.

Ideally you should remove a section of plasterboard, fit the ply just below flush, and skim.

Hide the cables in the cavity while you're at it.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Why do you want a cantilever arm? I agonised over this many years ago and eventually just used 4 vertical bits of angle iron: two bolted to the TV fixings and two fixed to the wall. The ones on the wall are the same width as the ones on the back of the TV and there is a single connecting bolt near the top of each to act as attachment and pivot. It works extremely well, is strong, close to the wall, effectively invisible, can be angled up/down slightly if needed and would make it hard for scroats to remove ... it's also very cheap. I've never felt the lack of a swivel.

In my case it's attached to a solid wall, but if I had to mount one on a stud wall I'd screw the uprights to the wall studs, connect them with a piece of metal studding or round bar that passes through the holes in the angle that's attached to the TV. Saves all this bu&&ering about with bits of ply and making holes in the wall, plus it's very strong and secure. Simples!

Reply to
no_spam

I'd use 150mm x 25mm joinery quality softwood. Easier to get a good finish, especially on the edges

Reply to
stuart noble

I wanted similar - but with a much smaller TV. The best place for the bracket was close to the edge of a chimney breast into brick. So wasn't convinced the brick would take the load. So got some strip steel - about

1/4" thick. Chased it into the wall and got a good fixing for it - and obviously no problem bolting the bracket to it.

Basically, I'd want to be certain your plywood would take the load.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

+1
Reply to
ARW

TV is to be fitted in a bedroom, pretty much as high as the 8' ceiling will allow, and not exactly centred to the bed either, so will need to be able to both move and tilt.

Reply to
JoeJoe

That is what I usually do, but the wall is not magnolia (no idea what it is), and I simply cannot be bothered to paint the whole (rather large) bedroom.

Reply to
JoeJoe

well paint/paper the one wall then. Very 1960s

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

? Studs are vertical, just two coach screws in the stud.

Reply to
F Murtz

pack-of-10/89400)

As it happens, I did this a couple of days ago. Stud finder, mark a hole, loosely fit, level up, mark other hole, other screw in, tighten. Job done. The screws were quite long and beefy - they came with the cantilever bracket.

Reply to
Bob Eager