What electric heater?

There's your problem then. You're looking for a light / heater when you should be looking for a heavy one ;-)

Reply to
Graham.

I use to have a 3 bar electric light/heater but they were so insubstantial I can't get another one. What sort are likely to last a decent while? (At least a couple of seasons.)

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

I'd not want to pour cold water on this, but heaters that are attached to lighting circuits are frowned upon nowadays. Those I've seen in shops clearly have a separate feed from another mains supply to the one feeding lights.

I'd imagine these devices are bought from shop fitting suppliers or something. Don't like them as you tend to get a toasted head!

Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

"Brian-Gaff" wrote in news:n1098a$tkn$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

I wonder if he means a radiant heater?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

The (circular) ones connected to the lighting circuit were only 750 watts.

The heater part now is not supposed tobeconnected to alighting circuit these days.

I have a pullcord operated fan heater high on the bathroom wall. From Screwfix ISTR

Reply to
harry

More likely like this lovely thing.

$_86.JPG

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

We used to have paraffin heaters when I was young.

Reply to
Michael Chare

When I was about 3 I had an oil night light in my bedroom. No idea why.

Reply to
Graham.

How utterly exquisite, one can only thank you for drawing one's attention to such unutterable beauty.

Reply to
Albert Zweistein

Or just forgot the level of thick on here.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

A reflection on how badly worded the first post was I think.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Such items are still available new for those seeking the a period ambience.

Period being the 1970s, obviously.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

But are they hard-wearing enough to last two seasons? It seems the OP is pretty rough with them. ;-)

Actually, I'm not sure they *ever* wear out. Usually the owner dies first and the heirs lob it in a skip.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Now you mention it, I did have a little lamp like that. No idea where it is now. I do have a couple of paraffin lamps for power cuts.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Presumably with their eyes mostly shut in case they should accidentally catch a glimpse of it.

Reply to
Albert Zweistein

All truly hideous, but I guess if you needed some lighted heat they'd do the job.

Reply to
Albert Zweistein

Or why not spend £3k for a pair of TVs and an MP4 file?

You'd expect a heating manufacturer to understand that watts per hour is not a measure of energy consumption, and why on earth do you want a "fire" positioned at the back of your neck?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Only those that emit infrared radiation. Those using different frequencies are generally regarded as lamps. I am sure you remember.

You think? You think halogen heaters are not lights? Hence the ability for this group as a generality to answer the question?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

turdey wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@supernews.com:

Not many houses had a plug socket in a bedroom. Hence easier to use a paraffin lamp.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

We had a couple of paraffin lamps because, in the village where I lived, we didn't get electricity until 1948. Afterwards, my parents kept them in case of power cuts (a not-infrequent occurrence in those days). When they died (early 90s), there was still one in the house.

Reply to
Ian Jackson