What does XR mean?

I've noticed of late that a lot of cordless drills and impact drivers have XR as part of their description but I can't find a definition of what it means. Does it mean anything significant, or is it just a bit like GT tagged onto the end of a car model name?

Reply to
Roger Mills

Am 30.12.2015 um 09:19 schrieb Roger Mills:

In case of DeWALT 'XR' means eXtreme Runtime. Parhaps.

Reply to
Matthias Czech

I thought it was just PR hype by Dewalt for their newer XR Lithium ion batteries as compared with their older batteries. According to

"20 V Max XR has been a source of some confusion for USA users, who have been asking if Dewalt?s XR lithium ion batteries provide any improvements in performance, as with Milwaukee?s RedLithium and XC battery packs. According to an answer by Dewalt on their Facebook page, the XR battery packs only provide added runtime, not added performance, compared to Dewalt?s lower capacity non-XR batteries."

Alan

Reply to
Alan Dawes

That should be ER though the queen might bnot allow that.

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

GT = Gran Tourisimo. A saloon car with slightly sporty pretentions. Allegedly suitable for long drives round the continent Originally.

Reply to
harry

X - extra, extreme, expensive

R - robust, reliable, rubbish

the list is potentially endless depending presumably on the size of the tongues and cheeks of the respective marketing departments.

A Gran Tourissimo presumably has a boot big enough to carry enough suitcases for a two week trip on the Riviera. Quite how it shapes up in mootorway traffic jams is maybe another matter.

michael adams

Turnip Watch

I had a work colleague who bought a Vauxhaul Viva SL. He phoned his insurance broker with the news, but was concerned that the initials on the end might be misinterpreted as GT or some other performance enhancement.

"SL" said the broker - "thats' pSeudo Luxurious".

Reply to
charles

rofl

I think my car is a GL or GS. No idea what it means..Got Leather? Good Stereo?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

GL was Grande Lux. Supposedly had a higher standard of trim/comfort than standard. The whole thing was bollix and in the end became meaningless. ISTR it was a Ford/Vauxhall thing back in the 80's.

But then there are some really weird names for cars these days.

Reply to
harry

Yes indeed. But no-one has so far said whether the same applies to XR in cordless drills, or whether that *does* have some meaning.

Reply to
Roger Mills

It means "Xstream Runtime".

Reply to
arnoldkaye90

A pointlessly late reply to a three year old google post with provided zero context. Try using a real news service?

Adrian Caspersz

Unless its an apple Iphone in which case its a 10 R. I am waiting for them to bring in the SE 10

Yes the Iphone SEX. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yes but my pun made it all worthwhile, don't you think? Oh, OK Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Extended work time

Reply to