What does this double clamp do?

It's about 6" tall and appears to be able to clamp something flat and something round at the same time. The brand is ACME and it is made of brass. Anyone know what it is used for?

Reply to
JimG

Holding some form of scientific/laboratory kit?

More modern versions available here

news

looks like the sort clamp a lamp to a table edge device.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

The padding on the flat bit makes it seem likely that is to clamp on a piece of furniture. What is intended to fit into the round hole bit is anybody's guess - table lamp, pencil sharpener, WHY.

Reply to
Nightjar

JimG wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Go to Google images and look for ACME Mangle.

It is one of a pair of mangle clamps.

Reply to
Heliotrope Smith

In message , JimG writes

It reminds me of a clamp for a kitchen table, to hold a mincer, or bean slicer or similar.

Reply to
News

Well spotted that man.

We didn't have one of those modern things, ours had 4 inch diameter wooden rollers and had an ornate triangular cast iron frames at each end, supporting the roller mechanism. Big cast iron reduction gears too.

Reply to
newshound

Something very like this, in fact

newshound

Just like the thing I used to turn, while my mother fed the clothes in.

Reply to
Nightjar

Ah the memories:

still-call-it-laundry/

Reply to
Jim S

Yes I would say that as well. Clamping to a table or bench edge

Reply to
Bob H

That looks like an Anglepoise desk clamp bracket to me. Old Skool, on account it looks like a brass fitting rather than the plastic one that's disappeared in the house move of 3 decades ago.

If I'm not being fooled by the lack of a scale, that would have saved me having to drill a 10mm hole in the RHS front corner of my office desk just 6 months ago when I realised that that was going to be the only way I'd be able to press my slightly rusty Anglepoise lamp back into service. I'd rather 'recycle' my old lamp than cough up in excess of fifty quid to get a poor quality copy or, worse still, one of those Ikea abortions.

Reply to
Johny B Good

On re-reading your OP, I see you mentioned an overall length of 6 inches (presumably as represented in the picture). This makes it about

50% or so larger than the original clamp that was supplied with the Anglepoise lamp I have.

Other than that, it does look remarkably like an old skool version of such a clamp. Maybe the original Anglepoise lamps were even more over-engineered than that late 60s early 70s example I'm using.

Reply to
Johny B Good

My trusty Luxo finally died after a bit more than 40 years. I was surprised to be able to buy an almost identical one from them, and the quality is good. Not cheap though!

Reply to
Bob Eager