What does the term "boss" mean wrt rendering?

Threaded View
Click Here To Start a New Thread
Can anyone translate the following description from a Scottish Single
Survey into plain English for me?

"The external rendering on the gable elevation appears "boss", which
will likely require attention."  -  Category 2

Sure, I understand that it will cost me money, but what is happening
to the rendering and how much is it likely to cost to fix?

BTW, SSSs are great, whatever happened to the England & Wales
equivalent?
Re: What does the term "boss" mean wrt rendering?
according to my Chambers dictionary (a good Scots publication):
 "Boss" means "hollow". I suspect, therefore, that it means that the
rendering has become detatched from the brick/stone behind (leaving a
hollow).

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Re: What does the term "boss" mean wrt rendering?
aka "blown" ?

Jim K

Re: What does the term "boss" mean wrt rendering?
Yep.

Re: What does the term "boss" mean wrt rendering?
In article
I think so.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Re: What does the term "boss" mean wrt rendering?

Ask the surveyor? They used the term they must know what it means.

But with the others I suspect it means "blown", detached from the
substrate.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Re: What does the term "boss" mean wrt rendering?
Thanks for all the replies  -  looks like a complete re-rendering of
the gable end then, b*r!  I wonder how much that is likely to cost  -
Dingwall area, 2-bed bung a low roof on it (to use the wearied quip).

Re: What does the term "boss" mean wrt rendering?
It depends on the area you want rendering, also whether the corners need
doing, that is to say, whether new metal corner beads need to be used, and
also whether you are going to get off the old render or want that doing as
well

Re: What does the term "boss" mean wrt rendering?
IME the old render will fall off easily if it's live, and it's a
dogsbody job that lends itself to d-i-y. The quotes should be better if
the plasterer can see the surface he has to work with.
These days disposal of rubble is expensive. If it's bagged up, a rubbish
collection firm should be cheaper than a skip

Re: What does the term "boss" mean wrt rendering?

I used to live in Maryburgh, near Dingwall.  My house was harled, not
rendered, i.e. covered in marble chips..

Re: What does the term "boss" mean wrt rendering?
The Concise Scots Dictionary defines 'boss' as being 'hollow,
concave', without any etymology unfortunately.  And yes if you're
going to move to Scotland, the finish is harling, and you'll score a
couple of brownie points with the local tradesmen if you use the local
terms - might even save the couple of hundred pounds they will add on
for being a sassenach.

Re: What does the term "boss" mean wrt rendering?

Actually, I think some council houses locally were rendered - smeared in
grey cement rather than the sparkling white finish of marble chips.

Re: What does the term "boss" mean wrt rendering?

Bit Of Scottish Sh*t?
:-)

[Not even bunny]

Re: What does the term "boss" mean wrt rendering?

"Boss" is the standard term here in Scotland - often used for internal
plaster which has come away from lath (or brick if "on the hard").

Threaded View
Click Here To Start a New Thread

Site Timeline