What does the term "boss" mean wrt rendering?

Can anyone translate the following description from a Scottish Single Survey into plain English for me?

"The external rendering on the gable elevation appears "boss", which will likely require attention." - Category 2

Sure, I understand that it will cost me money, but what is happening to the rendering and how much is it likely to cost to fix?

BTW, SSSs are great, whatever happened to the England & Wales equivalent?

according to my Chambers dictionary (a good Scots publication): "Boss" means "hollow". I suspect, therefore, that it means that the rendering has become detatched from the brick/stone behind (leaving a hollow).

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

aka "blown" ?

Jim K

Yep.

Tim

In article

I think so.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

On Fri, 16 Nov 2012 21:16:55 +0000, Java Jive wrote:

Ask the surveyor? They used the term they must know what it means.

But with the others I suspect it means "blown", detached from the substrate.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Thanks for all the replies - looks like a complete re-rendering of the gable end then, b*r! I wonder how much that is likely to cost - Dingwall area, 2-bed bung a low roof on it (to use the wearied quip).

Java Jive wrote:

It depends on the area you want rendering, also whether the corners need doing, that is to say, whether new metal corner beads need to be used, and also whether you are going to get off the old render or want that doing as well

On 17/11/2012 19:46, Phil L wrote:

IME the old render will fall off easily if it's live, and it's a dogsbody job that lends itself to d-i-y. The quotes should be better if the plasterer can see the surface he has to work with. These days disposal of rubble is expensive. If it's bagged up, a rubbish collection firm should be cheaper than a skip

I used to live in Maryburgh, near Dingwall. My house was harled, not rendered, i.e. covered in marble chips..

The Concise Scots Dictionary defines 'boss' as being 'hollow, concave', without any etymology unfortunately. And yes if you're going to move to Scotland, the finish is harling, and you'll score a couple of brownie points with the local tradesmen if you use the local terms - might even save the couple of hundred pounds they will add on for being a sassenach.

Actually, I think some council houses locally were rendered - smeared in grey cement rather than the sparkling white finish of marble chips.

Bit Of Scottish Sh*t? :-)

[Not even bunny]

"Boss" is the standard term here in Scotland - often used for internal plaster which has come away from lath (or brick if "on the hard").