what does intermediate switch mean in electrics

Looking to purchase new sockets and switches, am I likely to need intermediate switches, what is the difference from ones that arent intermediate exactly

Reply to
Gogs

You will only need an intermediate light switch if you have lights that switch on and off from 3 or more places, for e.g. 3or more different dorways into/out of a room/hallway.

If you have lights that switch on and off from 2 places, then it is 2 way switches that you will need.

woodglass...

Reply to
woodglass

Intermediate switches are used, for example, in a three way lighting system that you might have in your hallway and landing. You might have a "normal" switch at one end of the hall, one upstairs, and an intermediate switch by the front door.

Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

One-way switches are on/off. Two-way switches are used where you need two switches controlling the same light, e.g. two entrances to a room, top and bottom of stairs etc. One or more intermediate switches can be wired in between two two-way switches where you need more than two switches controlling the same light. In my flat I've got this: switches by the living room, bedroom and front doors, any one of which operate the same lights.

Reply to
Tony Bryer