What do they use to add texture to exterior emulsion?

I asked this before but didn't get an answer. I'm hoping that this time, someone can provide the info:

What do they use to add texture to exterior emulsions such as Sandtex? Is it common sand? If so, does it not make sense to buy smoothe exterior emulsion and add one's own sand, thereby getting more bang for one's buck?

Has anyone here successfully made their own textured emulsion by adding sand? Which type of sand did you use?

Al

Reply to
AL_n

I can remember my Dad repairing a damaged textured ceiling by adding crumbled corn-flakes to white emulsion!!

Reply to
Ret.

IIRC they use a special silicate of some kind which doesn't sink to the bottom of the can and doesn't gum up your brush (normal sand will do both). Don't go there just to save a few quid. Paint formulations are more sophisticatred than you might think.

Reply to
stuart noble

Paints can be anything from sophisticated to crude. The cruder ones are still perfectly workable. they just show more issues you need to be aware of when using them.

NT

Reply to
NT

stuart noble wrote in news:3b64q.495$Ew5.48 @newsfe02.ams2: