What do I need ?

In message , ARWadsworth writes

No, two feeds go to the Sky Plus box, the other one goes to the other box, wherever that might be.

Reply to
Kenny

Sigh.....

No wonder you get into so much trouble ;-)

Reply to
Andy Hall

Two to the Sky+ box, one to the other receiver.

If you're going to do this, then you can get a quad LNB and run up to four cables from it.

Each receiver (the Sky+ box has 2 inside) sends switching information (voltages/tones/codes) up the coax, so that it can switch between two frequency bands and two polarisations. This is invisible to the user, but the channels are spread across transponders and satellites with N channels per transponder. As you select channel, the receiver then tells the LNB the polarisation and band settings. On a quad LNB, each receiver has to be able to tell the LNB separately and there are effectively "four LNBs" inside the physical LNB.

Another approach is to use a satellite multiswitch. This has the logic to switch bands and polarisations in a box that is installed somewhere indoors e.g. loft. They can accept inputs from one or more satellite dishes, and can have N outputs. The approach is useful if you want more than 4 outlet points regardless of the number of receivers. For a multiswitch, you need quattro LNBs. These also have four cables, but the signals are not switched as in the case of the quad. Each cable carries one combination of band/polarisation.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Two drunks standing in a shopping trolley - could that be the next Youtube hit?

Y-e-s-s.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Very interesting. Thank you.

How does security come into this? As multiroom is a "copy" of the main receiver allowing you to watch a different channel in another room (subject to the channels you subscribe to), is there a link needed between the receivers? I have visions of people in semis and terraced houses joining forces for cheaper Sky viewing and putting the muiltiroom box next door.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 17:05:38 GMT, "ARWadsworth" mused:

When you subscribe to multiroom Sky periodically dial in to your box, generally around once a Month, and ensure they are all connected to the _same_ phone line. If they aren't, the sub stops.

Reply to
Lurch

AFAIK each multiroom skybox needs a phone line connection; Sky check that all the boxes on one account are phoning home from the same phoneline.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

An extra viewing card for the other box.

You would have to put a phone line extension next door as well.

Why not though? MATV distribution for the street, plus a PABX,.....

Possibly Ofcom might have something to say, not to mention $ky

Reply to
Andy Hall

Other way round. The box does ET. Can be commanded over the satellite.

I have mine through my PABX for example and I don't have that set up to direct incoming calls from any of the numbers to the box, although I could.

Reply to
Andy Hall

But only if you tell them ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 20:23:26 +0100, Andy Hall mused:

Yeah, that's what I meant.

Reply to
Lurch

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 20:34:15 +0100, John Rumm mused:

You're not meant to have a Sky sub if you are outside the UK either, SKy don't actively chase you though as they are getting paid. They only tend to stop your sub if you actually tell them you are dpoing something wrong, if they sort of think you are then they'll leave you to it.

Reply to
Lurch

It varies and I haven't checked recently. They send subscribers offers in the magazine ad you quote the code when you order. Both of you usually get some vouchers.

Reply to
dennis

Not wanting Sky myself is reason enough Although I have learnt enough on this thread to justify sinking two cables, not one, down my parents living room wall when they redecorate that room. I can then remove the horrible external cable.

MATV distribution for the street, plus a PABX,.....

Plus MY subscrition charge:-)

Shhhh. I never asked.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

There was no trouble. It actually worked. My mate married her and they now have 2 children. That was in student days. If we had smoked cannabis instead of drinking beer we would now be cabinet ministers.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

And if you had snorted coke, yuo might be a merchant banker or a prime minister. Nah: You done the right thing. Look at his wife and imagine being married to THAT.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I can't decide which is the less fortunate, though...

Reply to
Andy Hall