What do I need ?

I have been trying to do a diy install of my own sky dish. The actual mounting bracket of the dish has 4 holes and came with 4 rawl plugs and bolts, I have a drill (never really used it much) so to confirm I need a

7/8mm masonary drill bit and aim and blast right ? The material its going into is erm... I guess concerte.

Then the cabling is going to have to be routed through my PVC double glazing, again is a masonary bit all thats needed ? Do I need a drill where you can control the speed so I don't crack the windows ? also is a masonary bit on for this bit ?

Any advice and tips would be great. I have been starring at it for weeks pondering how to do it, I'm a bit crap at diy :)

Thanks all

Reply to
Matt

will drill both materials & are pretty good on concrete. Good for the DG as well because there is often metal behind the PVC. Just drill well away from the glass & take it slowly.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Double up on the cable, you'll need two runs for SkyPlus and you might as well install both at once even if you don't need both immediately.

Ensure dish is mounted more than "two drunks high"

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Masonry bit for the concrete. Depending on how hard it is you might also need a hammer drill or even sds drill.

Standard universal twist drill bit for the metal frame, not masonry.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

You might find it easier to drill through the wall rather than through the PVC frame. Yes, the frame will be easier to drill through, but if there are any unforseen problems they'll be more costly to put right if you've put a hole through the window frame than if you've put a hole through the wall.

Get a hammer drill and one of those long masonry drills, they're great fun! If you're drilling through a brick/thermalite cavity wall it should be OK.

Reply to
OG

SDS drill...

I would drill a hole through the wall instead - it looks far less like a bodge!

Drill at a slight downward angle so water can not run into the hole. Clip the cable into a drip loop outside so that it does not track moisture into the hole either.

Get some self amalgamating tape for sealing the connections on the back of the LNB. It feels like a non sticky rubber tape, you stretch it as you apply it and it does as the name suggests and turns into a tight fitting waterproof enclosure round the plug and socket.

A compass and knowing which satellite you are aiming for will help as well.

Reply to
John Rumm

> They will drill both materials & are pretty good on concrete. Good for

Ok, thanks for that had no idea these even existed. I always remembered there are wood bits metal bits masonary etc. Be handy to have in the tool box for the rare occasiona I brave some diy.

Ta for that.

Reply to
Matt

Thats an idea but I doubt I would need it as I'm only doing it for freesat. Although sky + would be nice I won't be paying sky £15 to get it for "free" not a bad deal right now, but I would not watch those channels at all, so I may aswell pay the £10 for sky + services and save £5. Its a shame you have to be a subcribing customer to get to use a sky + box its like paying for something you already own.

Not sure what you mean by that ... you mean out of reach to morons ?

Thanks

Reply to
Matt

I have a hammer action Bosch drill, I give that a try as I don't have a sds drill, not entirely sure what one is actually, is it a new type of drilling system ?

Reply to
Matt

Unfortunately I only have a hammer action one which I'll give it a go with, if it fails I'll rent a sds one or buy one depending on cost.

I have that tape already for the install, and will wrap it securely around the f-connectors.

Got the aid of a simple sat finder, and already have a compass and have worked out all the direction stuff, dish alignment, LNB skew etc.

Reply to
Matt

Pay the £30 and let Sky install it or just get someone o refer you and get it free and £30 of vouchers.

Reply to
dennis

I needs to be higher than "two drunks high stood in a shopping trolley". I speak from experience.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Whats the offer if someone refers you ? (how to go about it?)

Reply to
Matt

You had a few idiots hanging off your dish ?

Reply to
Matt

Serious question.

Is Sky plus just some sort of HDD that allows "live pausing" etc of programmes? A very brief look at Google also shows Sky Multiroom and it seems that Multiroom would need two feeds to the dish but not Sky Plus.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Not quite. It was as high as me and a mate could get on the way back from the pub to put some Milk Tray through a womans bedroom window. I am more mature now.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

yes, way more effective. You should manage with a standard hammer drill if the crete isnt too hard.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Yup:

hammer drill may work just fine - especially with a good bit like the bosch multipurpose ones. If however you find yourself spending 20 mins getting nowhere fast, then an SDS will sort it in no time.

Reply to
John Rumm

In message , ARWadsworth writes

Yes, Sky Plus is a HDD recorder. It also allows you to record one channel whilst watching another, so two feeds are needed for this. If Multiroom is wanted too, then three feeds need to come from the LNB.

Reply to
Kenny

Do all three feeds go to the "main receiver"?

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth