What do I do with this? (wasp nest)

Only new queens are left from the old colony and they aren't in the nest.

What you call vermin are creatures which serve a useful purpose (in our human terms) by getting rid of what's not neded any longer.

If there's no old nest there mice will find somewhere else to go, you can't blame the presence of mice on an old nest.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

In the same way as terrorists enjoy watching their victims?

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I have no problems with wasps in the loft until the last knockings when they either seem to lose their way, or they're attracted into the house by warmth. I suppose I'd rather die in the warm as well

Reply to
Stuart Noble

That is your direct personal experience, in which case give the full story, or just hear say?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

What more of a full story are you after ?

Sitting talking to my brother across a bench table in the back garden, suddenly felt the bugger sting me

bastard thing ...

Reply to
geoff

More information on where it stung you? As you are obviously avoiding that I suspect it became inadvertantly trapped between you and something else and was about to be crushed.

That's what happened when I got stung by a wasp, it got up a loose T shirt sleeve when my arm was raised. When I lowered my arm it was trapped in the edge of my arm pit, it stung in self defence to avoid being squidged. It worked I lfted my arm and it flew away...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

That's the usual reason for being stung 'for no reason'. Another is emitting whjat the wasp senses as a threatening pheromone - chemical messenger. That might be a dye in clothing or something which seems pleasing to us such as scent, after-shave etc - or just our own body smell even if we're not aware of it.

Wasps communicate partly through scent, they have a far greater sense than humans.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I did realise that, so couldn't blame it for having a go.

I have seen and heard one having a go at a fence post, so I thought they might be doing the same here. The nest was (is?) in the wall of what I think is a newish extension to the original structure, so the wood there is not old.

True. It was on a July evening last year, when I thought they would have been quiet. All the others were, as this was the only one I saw.

Reply to
Peter Twydell