What digi-cam do you use?

I suppose and like a lot of things you have to evaluate the risks and do your own thing?

I do remember from school science that the lower end radioactive material had bigger slower particles (is it?) and there was more chance of them colliding (and hence doing damage) inside us, than (what might seem on the outside) to be more nasty stuff?

Some folk are happy to do stuff *no matter*, some wiill pick some middle ground based on their best understanding and advice from others and the rest are just paranoid? ;-)

If someone gave me a Tritium 'torch' I probably wouldn't throw it away but might not keep it in my pocket either ..?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Failing both the SM and battery test, but passing the inclement conditions test with colours, I'm currently getting along very well with an Olympus Mju

300.

XD cards and rechargeable Li-ion battery, but the XD cards are excellent (quick storage times, big capacities (up to 8GB planned apparently), purportedly low power drain). The battery lasts for a long time, though a charged spare would be a useful purchase.

And splashproof - internal seals on everything and metal body.

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

Hi Richard, thanks for that .. Olympus have a good rep in the film camera world don't they?

Ok, and a 'workround' at least?

Now that's good? I have been known to take pictures when it has been raining (sorta shading the camera etc) but I (we) live in England so I guess you'd expect that eh?

It's also about the same (street) price of my next best match so far, (also ignoring AA's and SM) the Fuji F410?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Yes they make decent cameras and some very good lenses. Build quality of this cam bears this out.

Just checked my filesystem. I got the camera at Christmas, charged the battery fully, and that was it until it ran out about 3 weeks ago. In the meantime I had taken about 140 pictures. At least, I don't remember charging it because the first time I noticed the battery light beginning to flash was whilst I was up Sergeant Man in the Lakes 3 weeks ago...

That's not bad battery life considering I use the LCD for most shots.

Fuji and Olympus are bedfellows in the XD card development game - I expect to see it more prevalent in new Fujis as they're released.

If I have one complaint about it then it's that the lens cover can slide open when you push it into your pocket, thus activating the lens. It doesn't seem to do it any harm though. I'm currently trying to work out a strategy for preventing that...

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

Fair enough - you hadn't completely specified your usage so I offered my suggestions as a possibility. For my own usage (mostly landscapes and some family) instant availability isn't a necessity, but a decent lens, a filter thread (for the polariser) and a generally good availability of "extras" either new or second hand is. For those rellies who want photos by email, waiting until the film is processed (not usually more than a couple of weeks) and getting a CD made isn't a problem.

Hwyl!

M.

Reply to
Martin Angove

I am using spamblocked.com to do my filtering. It has made so much difference. Before the filtering, I was getting upwards of 75 a day, now it is down to about 1 or 2 a week. 10 Dollars a year is what I am charged and I think it is money well spent.

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)