What cutting lube?

Have to tap in some M6 threads into blind holes in Stainless Steel.

Have correct tapping drill ... and Taper, Plug & 2nd ....

I'm not going to but any specific thread cutting lube, but does anyone know what 'common' lube is most suited .... 3-in-1, white spirit, WD40, Paraffin, brake fluid, lithium grease. Have use all of the above on different materials .. i.e. white spirit when tapping Aluminum.

What is recommended for Stainless ( A2 grade)

Reply to
Rick Hughes

In the absence of proper tapping fluid I'd just use oil diluted a bit with paraffin to reduce its lubricity.

BTW paraffin (kerosene) is by far the best lubricant for aluminium. Diesel fuel is also acceptable.

Reply to
Dave Baker

Nutserts?

Styx Lawyer

I think that 3-in-1 would be the best from that list (I'd avoid the brake fluid completely - nasty stuff). I assume that you have those handy? If not, you're better off with the real thing. Something like

I use for all my lathe work, is not too expensive, and it works on most common materials.

dan.

Reply to
dent

which I use for all my lathe work, is not too expensive, and it works

Ur link doesn't work ;-)

Dave Osborne

Stainless? Buy some real cutting compound - RTD etc. Try Tilgear for a supplier.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

It does indeed work very well. It's also immensely more expensive which to anyone doing a lot of aluminium machining, i.e. me, is a not insubstantial point.

Reply to
Dave Baker

which I use for all my lathe work, is not too expensive, and it works

I can pick up a can of BOSS thread cutting compound from local plumbers trade outlet... but this is not specifically for Stainless,

Rick Hughes

Stainless is notorious for work hardening as it's being machined so it requires very sharp tools and quite aggressive feed rates on the mill or lathe so the tool gets well under the surface. Same problem with tapping really especially if the taps are not brand new and ultra sharp.

Reply to
Dave Baker

I would second that.

And as they a Blind Holes, here is a little Tip.

Before you start tapping push some Wax, or Putty, or Plasticine or Playdoh into the hole, then as you tap, the swarf gets pushed up out of the way.

You can buy this a proper tapping sticks.

Reply to
Baz

Back in my day we used lard (dripping). As good as any of this modern stuff.

Reply to
F Murtz

???

Reply to