what colour is white gloss paint; aged ~ 2 years-ish

OK, this seems like a stupid question.

My house has lots of white gloss painted woodwork. Just from the everyday knocks, the woodwork now has quite a few deep chips out of the paint.

The paint is fairly thick and brittle and the chips really just want patching up. Although the painted wood looks white, it is very yellow compared to some white dulux trade gloss paint that I have. Patching up the chips just looks awful.

So gloss paint does yellow with age, but are some gloss whites more yellow that others after some aging?

thanks for any tips

Davy R

Reply to
davy

I expect different paints do age differently, but also according to the level of light they are subjected to.

Hey - maybe there's a new marketing opportinity for Dulux et al:

1-year-old white gloss paint, 2-year old white gloss paint...

David

Reply to
Lobster

"Lobster" wrote

Dead right there! Strange that the paint which doesn't get any light yellows the most!

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Water based paints don't yellow. Shame they don't have much else going for them

Reply to
stuart noble

It's the linseed oil that darkens - light keeps it "bleached".

Not a lot of people know that.

Reply to
Lino expert

Mostly alkyd resins these days.

Reply to
stuart noble

take along a sample to one of the DIY superstores. they can scan it with a colour analyser and mix a pot that matches exactly.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

Nice idea. But I doubt that they will still match in another year.

Just the odd time I have gone ahead with white patches. And after a year or so they have caught up. Best to wash down existing very thoroughly - that alone can reduce apparaent yellowness.

Reply to
Rod