What can I use to block an air vent in kitchen in winter?

There's an air vent in our kitchen which is ok to have in summer but in winter loses a lot of heat. It's basically a brick sized hole with a grill at each end. I was thinking of stuffing it with some old clothes/curtains. Any better ideas?

Reply to
jgkgolf

Provided it is not needed to provide air for combustion (e.g. a non-room sealed boiler), how about a bit of 50mm Celotex/Kingspan? Cut slightly too large and insert with a bit of force. If you are keen, two layers. And a neatly cut piece of hardboard/MDF or something slapped over to finish it off.

This would be easy to reverse if needed. And, unlike clothing, will not get damp and go mouldy.

Otherwise do it properly with a bit of mortar and a brick/block.

Reply to
Rod

If you have any

Gas fires Oil burners Gas central heating (other than balanced flue) Fires that burn coal, logs, etc.

then take professional advice before blocking any vents.

If it really is not needed I would not recommend stuffing it with anything that might absorb damp.

Reply to
Invisible Man

We had some of thise in our last house.

We fitted a sliding surface louvre vent over the top of the existing one (it was flush with the surface which made life easy). At the time I just used plastic 'Map Vent' stuff (that's the name it had on it). I see that Screwfix do them...and some metal ones too...

Bob Eager

I saw someone asking here recently about a VentAxia heat exchanger. Extracts the stale air as you will need for ventilation, and uses its warmth to heat the fresh air as it comes into the house.

These give a very efficient means of air heating whilst keeping your house properly ventilated (as others have advised).

Reply to
OG

Clingfilm.

And an elastic band.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Just what I was about to say.

:¬)

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote on 03/02/2009 :

Perhaps it needs to be there to provide air to a gas heater or boiler?

If not and you are absolutely certain not, then tape something like some old large ice-cream plastic tub over it as a temporary fix.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I may be mistaken, but aren't you going to exacerbate the condensation

--> black mould problem in your kitchen if the is nowhere for awrm moist air to escape?

Reply to
me here