What cable to use for audio (phono) diy connections?

Page 3 of 3
"James" wrote | 1. Now I understand that each phono plug socket has two solder tags. | Aha. Current set-up doesn't have the shielding connected at all. | Ooops.
That explains a lot :-0
| 2. My original intention was to use the junction box as a sort of | permanent patch panel. In a 3-socket pair connection I thought it | would save me soldering two wires to each tag in the middle socket. | My impression from all the posts is that this is probably not a good | idea?
You probably won't get two wires into each phono plug because the cables will be bigger than the hole in the plug.
Remember I said you can join two stereo phono leads together end-end using a Twin Phono Coupler QT64U? You could use two of Two Into One Adapter YW39N to join each lead together and give you a plug to go into equipment in the cellar.
Much better would be to use a Phono Socket 6-Way JH95D at 99p which is 6 phono sockets mounted on a paxolin panel. Common together the sockets in two rows of 3 and mount the panel on (thinks: what did I use last time?) an old flat tobacco tin. You will then have two rows (L and R) of commoned sockets into which you can plug your kitchen lead, your lounge lead, and a lead to your cellar equipment.
| 3. Connecting the shielding at both ends or at one end. Some | divergent views.
If you use the Phono Socket 6 way to make your little patch panel and you find after setting it up you want to disconnect the screen, you can just cut the commoning link on the back of the panel which will be much easier than remaking the cable connections. Much easier to reinstate the continuous screening later if you need to, too.
Owain

Or, for the lazier person something similar to these, http://tinyurl.com/2rl3v You can get various sizes and combinations premade, these are what I found without looking too hard.
SJW A.C.S. Ltd.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (James) wrote in message

:)

screen is connected at both ends. Standard screened wire should do fine. Ignore the snake oil nonsense, and dont bother with gold flashed connectors unless: a) your place is so damp you get corrosion (gold is corrosion proof) b) the gold plating is specified as thick enough to prevent this - most gold finishes are just cosmetic.
Regards, NT

Many gold finishes at the cheaper end aren't gold.
--
*Why is the time of day with the slowest traffic called rush hour?

You really need screened twisted pairs. Not easily available. I did manage to get away with using telephone cable, two grounds commoned and one wire for each signal over a 10M run. As you have found hum present, I wonder if there is an earthing problem between the two rooms. There should not be any significant hum from pick up. The other possible problems causing hum and distortion are that the output and input impedances are not matching. Check what the values are and if in doubt, try terminating the amplifier input with 1K Ohms across each input as a start. Also check that the computer output is not at too high a level. I'd expect the amplifier to work with 1V rms at most, frequently less.
Regards Capitol