What cable for external lights

I have several 60 or 100W outside lights on the walls of my house. They are connected to a lighting circuit using ordinary twin + earth lighting cable. This discolours from sunlight and will, I am sure, eventually decay. I have looked for other cables to use. All there seems to be is arctic-type stuff that is a revolting colour- orange or yellow. Definitely naff on an old house. Anyone suggest an alternative and a supplier.
Peter Scott

It might be tidier to put the wires in mini-trunking, that is white at least. You might also find that electrical wholesalers have more reasonable coloured wire which is UV resistant.

In uk.d-i-y, snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk wrote:

Try groups.google.com "Advanced Search" in uk.d-i-y with "exterior" and "cable" as keywords for old posts on this. Quick summary: a flex which is nevertheless suitable would be HO7RNF or its close cousin HO5RNF (alphabet soup from memory!) which is often sold as "pond cable": it's a neoprene rubber type with a dark grey or black sheath, and is sold by the metre in the big B&Qs and from some electrical wholesalers. Better still (since we're enjoined by the Regs to use cable rather than flex for fixed appliances) would be 'Supertuff' or Hi-Tuf, an all-PVC outdoor-rated cable which is a easier-to-work-with substitute for armoured cable; it's UV-resistant, and pretty easy to work with. Electrical trade counters should have it in. TLC have branches all over the south of England, and do Web and phone orders: see www.tlc-direct.co.uk; they do cut lengths of 1.5mmsq HiTuf at 1.40 per metre, but no HO7RNF in their cat (another kind of place which sells cut lenghts of that, but overpriced, is garden centres and garden pond places).
HTH, Stefek
"Peter Scott" wrote | I have several 60 or 100W outside lights on the walls of | my house. They are connected to a lighting circuit using ordinary | twin + earth lighting cable. This discolours from sunlight and will, | I am sure, eventually decay. I have looked for other cables to use. | All there seems to be is arctic-type stuff that is a revolting colour- | orange or yellow. Definitely naff on an old house. Anyone suggest | an alternative and a supplier.
Hi-Tuff cable is exactly what you want. http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Cable_Index/Hi-Tuf/index.html
Google the thread "Outside lighting power cable" in March 2003 http://groups.google.com/groups?th145973d71b9346d
Owain