What brick is this ...

Hi All,

I'm trying to mage good a hole in a wall where a flue terminal went through and need half a dozen or so new yellow stock pattern type bricks to match the originals.

They look like this:

that works, only just created the account).

The b.i.l. found me some that look very similar but are more pink and I believe they will stand out when placed in a little patch as with a filled hole (rather than spread about etc) :-(

Any idea who might stock such please (Nth London / Herts) and what they might be called (other than 'bricks' of course) so I can ask for the right things. ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Dunno - there are so many different bricks, and they may not still be making bricks exactly like yours. Can you take one out, and take it round to a few BMs, to try to find the best match? [If you *can* get one out and clean it up, it will probably say on the frog who made it]

Is there any part of the house which is less conspicuous - from which you could nick a few bricks and replace them with something which doesn't quite match?

Whoever built the wall shown in your photo was pretty economical with the bricks and generous with the mortar! Was that an extension built with metric bricks - with the brick courses needing to line up with the original house built with imperial bricks?

Reply to
Roger Mills

Oh .. :-(

Well (it's actually my next-door neighbours) and when I pull the flue out I might be able to see into one of the frogs (good idea).

Not easily I'm afraid. The neighbour himself probably wouldn't care especially as it's only us that going to see it (this is a ground floor extension / bathroom on the rear addition on a Victorian terraced cottage) but I thought I'd try to get the best match I could before I start sticking bricks back in for him.

I think it was a friend or relative of the previous owner. ;-)

Yes, I believe so.

I don't think they even tried Roger (looking at the few bricks I can see that actually touch the old brickwork).

I had that same issue when my BIL built a similar bathroom on the back of ours, except we actually used genuine reclaimed stocks (and slated lean-to / pitched roof rather than flat).

My issue was they started to brick up using a std brick gauge rather than following the existing course lines and after a few feet it all went out of synch (and this was a very visible wall on a public road). I questioned the fact and they said it couldn't be done any other way. After a prolonged discussion (that was going nowhere) I asked them to leave the job and *I* would remove the bad courses and re-brick myself (slowly) and that seemed to be sufficient for them to suddenly be able to do the same! ;-)

All the best and thanks Roger ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

My Dad used, jokingly, to ask if mortar was to hold bicks together or hold them apart.

I could never work it out ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

They are London Bricks (LBC) - I don't recall the exact name, but search the Hanson Brick web site

dg

Reply to
dg

They are London Bricks (LBC) - I don't recall the exact name, but search the Hanson Brick web site

Or have a look at

ARWadworth

They are indeed, I pulled the mortar out of the now exposed bottom brick and I saw 'London' in the mortar! ;-)

Thanks for that, I think they are these ...(Hanson's site)

down four, "IRONSTONE" ?

now we know what they are, how do I get 10 or so?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Thanks for that Adam (and others), you wouldn't suspect there was so much to 'just' bricks eh? ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Ah, it all make more sense now ... (it's hereditary) ;-)

Even with a pencil?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

You didn't spot the deliberate mistake - I put it in just for you!>

:-)

Mary Fisher

Put two together and wait for them to mate.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Ah, and that's where your plan falls over Mary, I don't even have two .. :-(

I suppose I could always bake my own?

I guess you just start with Extra Strong Yellow Flour?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Yes, cornmeal. You'd certainly end up with yellow bricks if you did :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

You could try any local builders yard now you know the name of them. Jewsons comes to mind, but they may be limited.

Reply to
Bob H

Ok ta. I asked because I wasn't sure if I could buy just 10 or had to get a whole pallet etc?

I called my local branch yesterday and they mentioned another London branch held bigger stocks. I just rang the other branch and they do indeed have a few thousand in stock (but are quite a trek).

I then rang Hanson (an email to their sales bounced) who have now given me an even closer stockist and they have 7000 in stock. ;-)

I'll pop down there in a mo and see what they have got and if they are more yellow than the ones I was given by the BIL.

Something I learnt from the nice lady at Hanson is that these London Brick bricks have the pattern sprayed on top of a basic plain brick and hence how you can get different colour results depending on the colour of the base brick.

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Result. I'll give Morphy Richards a ring and see if they do a std brick shaped mould for this bread making machine we borrowed.

That might also be of interest to people selling their houses as it could be used as part of the scene setting. ie, If you were selling your house to a builder the smell of freshly baked bricks might just swing the deal.

Right, off to get some grey food dye for my marzipan mortar mix ...

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Oh, Mary, you're a brick! [How do you you fancy being part of Time wall?]

Reply to
Roger Mills

I think you're joking but after Spouse built the stone bread oven we held a First Baking Pizza Party (people made their own small pizzas and baked them) and I made a model of the oven. I did use marzipan for the stones and baked them to make them hard then built the oven using brown icing (made with brown sugar) for the mortar. It had a moulded chocolate door and when it was opened out poured lots of marzipan slugs and snails.

It was a hit!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

You mean you want to seal me behind a wall?

:-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

No, not *behind* the wall - *in* the wall - you'd still be visible!

[The original quote, now corrected above, should have said Tim's wall rather than Time wall - don't know why I typed Time!]
Reply to
Roger Mills