What are they called?

The French windows on the first floor (or above), which open inwards, but have an external gate to stop you falling out?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Faux Balconies

Nick L

Reply to
Nick L

Juliet balcony?

Reply to
Robin

Faux Balconies

Nick L

Reply to
Nick L

Apologies for double posting - server kept disconnectiong me. Nick L

Reply to
Nick L

No, you can stand on a Juliet balcony (Romeo did).

I believe they are called French balcony.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I thought that while often played with a balcony all the texts call for is a window.

I have (as usual) to hand it to you: Google gives *much* more interesting photos when shopping for "French balcony" than for "Juliet balcony" :))

Robin

So where did Juliet balcony get it's name then?

ARWadsworth

Shakespeare.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

Not in what he writ. There is no "balcony " in the texts. Juliet appears at a "window".

(Even more) boring details follow:

I think a lots goes back to all the cheesy productions of Romeo and Juliet in which Juliet poses around a (conventional) balcony and/or Romeo shows his prowess by hoisting himself over the overhang. There is also the Casa di Giulietta in Verona with Juilet's (purported) balcony. The 2 scenes in the play are also known generally as the balcony scenes. Hence people think there must be a balcony.

I forgot to say before that I do agree that "French balcony" is (or used to be) used for what TMH described. But I'd rather thought that it had been displaced by "Juliet (or Juliettte) balcony". Possibly 'cos estate agents think it sounds more alluring for the explosion of flats with windows of that ilk? And/or because the planning guidance refers to 'Juliet' balconies normally being permitted development and not needing planning permission?

Reply to
Robin

It could well be either now estate agents are involved. It sounds so much better that safety fence which is in fact, what it is.

So Shakspeare did not have a balcony but I bet if you ask one hundred people to name a scene from Romeo and Juliet they will say "balcony":-)

Reply to
ARWadsworth