What are these "strange" screws?

The other day I removed the side panel from the bath to clean right into the cracks. The builders (ten years ago) had left all kinds of crud under the bath, including this plastic strip with three screws still in it:

I've been puzzling ever since what these are for? Why not have a box of screws? And is the plastic meant for some special fixing?

Here's a closer view:

MM

Reply to
MM

For a screw gun or whatever they're called. Like a chain gun but you don't need a license.

Reply to
Scott M

They're plasterboard screws. Builders use special gun-type screwdrivers into which these strips of screws can be loaded. Much quicker than having to handle each screw.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Ah! Thanks (for both responses). I'd have never come up with a gun!

Oh, well. I'll just put the screws in my rummage drawer. May come in handy.

MM

Reply to
MM

Collated screws for use in an automated screwdriver, presumably for plasterboarding

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yes you also find pop rivets and other fasteners in kind of bandoliers or rolls that feed a bit like a machine gun. Lethal things if using the nail version! Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

Single thread passivated self tapping... probably plaster board / dry lining.

Screwing things together...

They are collated screws for an auto feed screw gun.

e.g.

John Rumm

As the US call them 'Drywall screws' for fixing plaster board to wooden studs. they are on a strip as there are automatic screw guns that use this feed method.

Here is a video of how to use one:

rick

I don't do any plaster boarding, but I want one of those screw guns!

Reply to
GB

Collated is the word.

I bought a Makita one for decking. 'kin disaster. Never managed to fire a belt of 50 without jamming. Sent it back.

Reply to
David Lang