What are these plastic inserts in the toilet pan?

Just fitted a toilet.

The pan has three plastic inserts in three holes that allow the water into the pan from the cistern.

Sketch here:

The inserts are like a rigid tube 1.5 to 2 inches in diameter with a collar at one end. They have three roughly 8mm holes in them at the other end, 9

0 degrees apart.

I wasn't sure if they were just moulding/shipping material or if they were meant to alter/direct the flow of the water.

I removed one with difficulty - which started to damage the collar - so I d ecided that the tightness of fit meant they were likely there for a reason, pushed it back in again and siliconed the cistern on to the pan.

Now the flow isn't great and the water seems to be concentrated almost enti rely at the back of the pan.

Before I rip the cistern off, yank out the inserts and likely damage them a nd then find out it's just a crappy dual-flush mechanism that's causing the problem... has anyone come across these before? Are they just elaborate m oulding/packing pieces? Or do they have an important function?

Reply to
mike