What are these 'pipe taps' called?

What's the name of the small blue (or red) taps that are usually connected to hot and cold water pipes used for washing machines, dishwashers, etc? The ones that you turn through 90 degrees to turn the water supply to the hose on or off.

I have a broken blue one and need to get a replacement - seems a bit daft to pay whatever extortionate shipping fees that the likes of screwfix, B&Q, whoever will charge for such a cheap bit of plastic, but I guess there's no choice (my local hardware store is a long way away).

Thanks

Reply to
mjones

You'd be looking for something called (wait for it) 'washing machine taps'.

If you're quick,

are still offering free P&P on any size order before Christmas, so you can just order one tap if you like (62p or 98p, depending on whather you want staright or tee connection).
and go to the section Plumbing->Washing Machine Accessories.

Reply to
Tony Eva

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 15:55:48 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (mjones) strung together this:

Erm, washing machine taps! Technically, appliance valves though, but calling them washing machine valves or any combination of the three terms will result in the same product.

Reply to
Lurch

Many thanks, nice one. :)

As I don't actually need the metal valve, I'll keep that for spares. :-)

Reply to
mjones

Thanks a lot. :-)

Reply to
mjones

If you can't wait, Homebase had them in quite cheaply (more than Toolstation, naturally!) a few weeks ago when I needed some. I'd imagine that most DIY stores will also stock them.

Reply to
JM

If you mean *just* the plastic handle, I have a spare you can have. Not sure how universal the shaft fitting is. It's an oblong piece of plastic with a hole near one end for the screw. Underneath the larger hole for the shaft is round, but squared off inside.

Email me if you want it.

Reply to
Bob Eager

You can easily buy just the plastic handles from any of the DIY stores, and I'd imagine from the online shops of the DIY stores too.

Marcus

Reply to
Marcus Fox

Thanks for the kind offer - have now ordered some but if they don't fit I'll take you up on your offer. :)

Cheers

Reply to
mjones

It's sitting here beside me on the desk - email me with your address and I'll pop it in the post.

(I got a red and a blue one with each tap, so I had a spare of each).

Reply to
Bob Eager

Don't they have plumbers merchants any more in the UK? We are still lucky enough to have some on the Isle of Man. It's possible to go in one ask for something and they get it off the shelf for you. You can also usually just buy one item rather than a bag full, which the sheds want you to do. Price is usually a lot less too and the staff know what they are talking about.

Ash

Reply to
Ash