What are these for?

(Joist seal).

I'm sure (not the real)fred will be along soon to tell me that if I have to ask then I'm not safe to have one(but I won't see him unless I go ferreting in the killfile), but I'm curious.

Reply to
Guy King

To protect the end of the joist from woodrot/damp when recessing a joist in the brickwork?

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Correct.

Some BCO's insist on coating the joist ends in silicone or mastic, although I have never met one that has mentioned it. These cover the entire joist end eliminating the need for messy sealants, personally I use hangers and I've never been pulled on them yet.

Reply to
Phil L

The message from Guy King contains these words:

Too late - I found out!

Reply to
Guy King

I'm relieved to see its NOT a link to a pic of a wirecutter like device with 2 largish cutting holes side by side.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Saw these about a year ago. Seem like a good method of sound insulation for floors??

Reply to
sploop