What are these (electrical)?

This is a pic of the fuseboard on a property I looked at in Ballarat (105km NW of Melbourne) built 1975. Fuse boards like this (yes, literally, ceramic fuses screwed to a piece of board) are not uncommon on properties of this age, yet back in 1975 something like this in the UK would have been condemned

- IIRC Wylex CUs became the norm from around 1960.

At least the Bill and MEM units in the OP's pics had interlocks to stop you inadvertently touching live terminals.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

That is not just a piece of board It is probably Zelamite, specifically made electrical board (although it did contain asbestos)Boards like this are still extremely common and perfectly safe (even the asbestos component is very unlikely to escape into the environment)

Reply to
F Murtz

En el artículo , Tony Bryer escribió:

Doesn't look that bad to me, though I would have said 50s rather than

70s.

The labelling on the main switch in the centre suggests to me this would have been the heating system for a commercial property, not a domestic one.

It's even been upgraded with an RCD! :)

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

It's all Paxolin these days:-)

Reply to
ARW

Are you referring to VIR cable by any chance?

Reply to
Johny B Good

The 1930s fusebox. The cable's all pvc/pvc T&E.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Paxolin's been around for decades - lovely smell when it gets a bit toasted...

I made a pea shooter (Beano style) as a kid out of a paxolin tube and a bit of paxolin sheet cut into a disc with a hole in and glued over the end of the tube.

Tasted funny but did the job...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Why not just use the body of a Bic biro? With pearl barley as ammo?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Let me just invent a time machine an go back and tell 8 year old me that :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

Electric underfloor heating.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Nothing wrong with that; job done, cobber.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

You certainly can - TLC sell it in reels. Cheap source of tinned copper wire for use as links on PCBs, etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)