What are these (electrical)?

Switchfuses? Switches? Probably installed around 1961.

The questionmark items are the white box far left, and the 2 black boxes left above the old black fusebox at the bottom. Dog's dinner isnt it.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

En el artículo , snipped-for-privacy@care2.com escribió:

Just seems to be a switch. Maybe it feeds a sub-CU somewhere?

Same, only older.

Could this place have been bedsits at some point?

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

The white box might / might not have a fuse internally - could just be a switchbox. Same goes for the smaller of the two brown ones. The larger brown one almost certainly has an internal fuse or two.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I would expect them all to have a fuse inside.

Reply to
ARW

:) I guess the only way I'll know is to open them all. That'll take a fair while, its not local. Thanks.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

The bakelite ones are switch fuses. MEM is the make if memory serves me. Early/late 60s. Heh, I must have istalled dozens of those.

The cast iron lump is also a switch fuse, prewar I should think. Looks like a "Bill" (Manufacturer)

All fuses are rewireable. I don't suppose you can get fuse wire any more!

Reply to
harryagain

Back then there were no consumer units, just a separate switch fuse for each circuit. All fed from a link box. Or sometimes all the tailscrammed into thecutout.

Most houses had one for lighting & maybe couple more for 15a sockets.

Reply to
harryagain

Don't be daft:

Robin

That's what I thought, but wasnt sure. I hope the white one is ditto, just wondered if it might be switch only.

Its actually plastic, very much in the style of the old ironclads. Memset Sunco 1938. I've recommended replacement, whether they do remains to be seen.

I don't think tinned copper has been banished yet.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

The white bakelite at the bottom is Wylex. Above it looks like a modern Hager. The "cast iron lump" says MEM on it so it's unlikely to be a Bill.

Reply to
charles

3way_ceramic_fusebox.cs4
Reply to
DerbyBorn

The white box far _RIGHT_ is quite obviously a Wylex CU (looks like a

4 or 5 way unit). The only white item, far _LEFT_, appears to be an isolator switch.

If you meant right rather than left, just undo the cover screw and take a look, you should see a group of fuse links (and if the previous owner or electrician had lent a bit of thought to the job, the lid should have the fuses labelled in pencil as to which circuits they protect).

HTH & HAND

Reply to
Johny B Good

I think you can still buy cards of Niglow fuse wire in chandlers / pound shops. Mind you, the last time I invested in a card of fusewire, it must have been just after moving into our present house about 30 years ago.

Since we've never had a fuse blow, I've still got most of it left (I think I prewired the spare fuse links I picked up somewhere - out of a skip, most likely).

Reply to
Johny B Good

I'm very familiar with the wylex boxes on the right. The white thing on the left: I hope its not just a switch, that was precisely my concern hence the question.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

DerbyBorn wrote in news:XnsA3B5ADD8163C6TrainJPlantntlworldc@81.171.92.236:

DerbyBorn

In message , Johny B Good writes

Regarding my electrical thread up there ^, one of the fuses in one of my four boxes was helpfully labelled Shower. As we do not have an electric shower, I removed the fuse , which was fine until we turned the oven on, later that day ...

Reply to
News

Not the words I would use. But yes - it is.

Reply to
ARW

Ah well, you learn something new. Presumably your relabled it as "Cooker" to avoid any further confusion.

Reply to
Johny B Good

Well it's all a matter of where peoples put their heads in, innit?

And surely much better than the time I found the electric cooker run off the upstairs lights - albeit, to be fair, the 5A fuse wire looped round several times very,very tidily.

PS

How long did you say you'd lived there ?

Reply to
Robin

Heh. A home-owner asked me to sort out his leccy shower, in an extension to a house he'd recently bought. On investigation, it turned out some fecking cowboy had installed a mains-fed unit, but was actually being fed from an attic tank, so the low-pressure safety switch prevented the shower from switching on. Which was just as well really, as the wiring was 2.5mm T&E, across the roof of the extension, up the back wall of the house (internally) and across the attic (under insulation) to the far corner at the front, where it dropped down the wall through a bedroom to the C.U. at the front door. A fire just waiting to happen, I thought. Oh, and the main RCD failed on test - how long it had been defective I don't know.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon