What are these called ?

Or perhaps more accurately where do I get them ?

I recently fitted a number of TV wall brackets., the kit include multiple spacers all of this type:

one for example is 18mm diam, and a 5mm wall thickness.

I have a need to fit a number of 'brick lights' and thought that these may be ideal ... I could use fixing screw through these into rear blockwork, and as they are 'tough' will be good to tighten the casting back 'up' against the spacers.

I would need to buy at least 32 of them ... is different lengths ... or even better if I could buy it 'by the meter and cut to size ... anybody know where to get such things.

Judging by the marks ..it looks like a these were made by 'pairing off' in a CNC lathe or similar off a length of rod, material is a hard nylon (methinks)

I don't have access to lathe anymore or I would go looking for nylon rod.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

The brick lights I recently installed came as a complete unit, the backbox of the light just screws directly to the second leaf, each light is brick-sized, are these not what you are referring to?

Reply to
Phil L

Yes ... but the brick lights would be fitted so louvre is flush with front face of brickwork ... there is (in may case) a gap between the rear of the lights housing and blocks behind ... varies but around 40mm

Reply to
Rick Hughes

They normally have a body which fits in the hole from a missing brick and mortar, and a front frame which is larger and prevents the whole thing going through the brick hole, so you fit by screwing into something that pulls the front onto the wall surface. No spacers should be required.

I cut a couple of pieces of galvaised steel capping, glued them vertically across the back of the hole aligned with the screw holes in the back of the bricklight, and then drilled tiny pilot holes in them and screwed the bricklights onto them using stainless steel screws with white heads which were for fixing plastic facias on (effectively self-tapping). Having done a test fit and screwing home, I removed, lined the sides, top, and bottom of the hole with mortar, and screwed back in. They won't stick to the mortar, but it makes for bedding to prevent any movement.

I also ripped out the lampholder, and fitted a couple of bare warm white

3W LEDs directly to the casting, which makes for a heatsink for them.

By the way, the ones with black louvres give out very little light. We had them on the footpaths where I used to work, and they were useless, except for a couple which lost their louvres.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

The lights is question are ..

could pull onto rear wall 'face' but there would be around 40mm gap. The hole is exactly one brick size, standard 225 x 75mm brick with 10mm mortar joints ... i.e. void is typically

235 x 95 ( i.e 225 brick + 10mm perp, and 75 high + top & bottom 10mm mortar beds)

As these are only 228 x 88 you can see my problem ... they will 'fall into the void.

I can screw to back wall, but without spacers it will simply pull light into the void.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Any good:

Judging by the marks ..it looks like a these were made by 'pairing off'

Pillar drill, hacksaw, and a length of nylon rod? (in fact, any drill - the hole being dead centre etc is not exactly critical in this application)

Reply to
John Rumm