What are these????

I found these at a car boot, very, very rusty. Couldn't resist them - yet another impulse 20p purchase. But what are they? The only thing I can think of makes my eyes water :-) Anyone know?
http://www.oofus.com/pix/RBPics/Odds/Odd-Pliers-W.jpg
Roy

Look like they could have been useful for cutting and holding wire, for fencing maybe??
--
-- Bill

Hmmm... I'm tempted to put them on Ebay with the words "old" and "rare" in the title.... Bound to make a profit! Roy

Farrier's tool of some kind?
I don't think it's an emasculator.....
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
RzB wrote:

I think they are 'hog-ring' pliers. Used in upholstery trade. (other uses too) MrCheerful

Hi
I dont think they'll cut anything off, as the mechanism doesnt look like it would close any further than the picture shows them.
However..... scary.
Regards, NT
snipped-for-privacy@meeow.co.uk (N. Thornton) wrote:
Hello N.

Bloodless castrators?
Least, they look like the descriptions I've read, but I've not seen any. The idea is that they're affixed through the scrotal wall and when squeezed will break the relevant pipework without cutting the skin. IIRC, they weren't that reliable.
Gentlemen may now wish to uncross their legs.
--
Simon Avery, Dartmoor, UK
On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 17:02:07 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@digdilem.org (Simon Avery) wrote:

    If I had to make an educated guess I say they were Horse shoe nail pullers...
Lenny

I know a sheep farmer who uses something similar (but never seen them) to castrate his rams. The pliers don't sever the testicle, but stop short and put pressure on the supply, nerve or whatever and in time they (the testicles) wither and no longer perform. maybe? ..................
And of course it's common knowledge that a castrated ram is called a wether?
Anyway, that's a useful foundation for the story about the farmer who had a troublesome ram and, being very short of cash, decided to sell it at market one sunny day. As the auctioneer tried to get a bid the ram howled, charged the fencing and generally caused a lot of fuss. No bids were forthcoming and shortly after the disgusted farmer was putting his ram back into his landrover. His neighbour walked by and said "Nice Weather, Bert". "It will be when I get back to the farm" replied the farmer.

I think they might be used to remove boy scouts from horses hooves or something like that.
Andrew
In uk.d-i-y, RzB wrote:

Can you do a picture with it open?
--
Nigel Mercier

Please remove NOSPAM from my return address
writes

Ye-olde BNC tool :-)
--
fred

Where is Jack Hargreaves when you need him? He would have known!
I always think of him when I hear "Memories of the Alhambra".
--
Peter

Ying tong iddle-i po!
Ok - Someone on my woodworking course suggested that they were for putting rings in animals (pigs/cattle) noses. On close inspection it appears that there is a groove where a ring might go. Seems almost plausable... At least better than removing horses from boy scouts hoofs - or whatever... Roy
Yes - very interesting. Why did you suggest Hog Ring Pliers? Just someting you imagined or what? Roy
RzB wrote:

No, I had seen something similar looking in a snapon catalogue a long time ago and remembered the name, I then did a quick search for hog ring pliers and found some pictures which were similar, they seem to be mainly used in the upholstery trade, so I mentioned that too.
MrCheerful