what are N(blf) ( Force ?)

I'm looking at a table for gas struts and the column heading is 'Force in N(blf) and the row reads 270(60.7)

Can someone converts this into kg. (The amount of force I require is a lift of 14kg)

Would that 'blf' be a mis-print for 'lbf' ?

Reply to
fred

Divide 270 by g, so for the purposes of this exercise, 10 would be close enough giving enough force to support 27kg

Yup...

John Rumm

Looks like it. Some dumb typist who doesn't know science, or spelling, or english grammar. They are all like that these days.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Using F=MA:- The force in Newtons = the mass in kilograms times the acceleration due to gravity in m/s²

Acceleration due to gravity (g) is taken as 9.81 m/s²

Force to cope with 14 Kg is 14 * 9.81 = 137.34 Newtons

When I was at school (before calculators) we took g as 10 to show we knew where to use it but it didn't make the maths overly complicated.

Reply to
soup

Nope. Probably lost in the translation from Dutch to English

Reply to
fred

in N(blf) and the row reads 270(60.7)

lift of 14kg)

Many thanks to all who responded. I had guessed the answer but couldn't rel ate to the advice I was being given in relation to the strut. The opening a ngle and the stroke are also required to give the answer so in this case tw o of these will be required for a 14kg up-lift.

Reply to
fred

The force a gas strut provides is usually quoted in Newtons.

That is the force needed to accelerate 1kg at a rate of one second per second.

Note that gas struts are pretty temperature sensitive. One which is perfect on a hot day may not be adequate when cold.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I take it you meant one metre per sec per sec (it's a long time since I did that stuff :-)

Reply to
Tim Streater

Yup. ;-)

Reply to