What are gas prices in Britian?

so, when your medication is ?10,000 a course will you pay for it? Or will you pay for your hip operation at ?5000-10000?

Reply to
zaax

W-e-e-e-e-e-e-ll. Robbing Peter to pay Paul generally gets Paul's approval.

Better not use a nasty diesel pantechnicon to do it, though.

Reply to
Huge

Nope. The insurance that I provide for myself out of taxed income will pay for it.

Reply to
Huge

AFAIK only for the policing in the ground. That outside comes from that counties council tax payers.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The NHS is paid for by the tax on tobacco isn't it?

Reply to
Geoffrey

Probably! The tax on petrol pays for the politicians.

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

But tax on fuel penalises drivers. Why not increase the tax on earnings or VAT? That would be fairer as more people would pay it.

sponix

Reply to
--s-p-o-n-i-x--

So why not have a sliding scale of motoring fines, dependant on the size of your vehicle and therefore your ability to pay?

Shoot a red light in your mini=£30 fine

Do the same in a Landrover=£200 fine

sponix

Reply to
--s-p-o-n-i-x--

I guess that the tax on fuel is supposed to make people think about using public transport. In the sticks, it does not but in towns it does.

Bobby

Reply to
Bobby Bewl

Don't confuse Tony & co with the facts! The high fuel duties are particularly hard on hard working low income families living in rural areas with lower wages, however, these people don't vote for Nu Labur, so are of no significance!

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

Shoot a red light=pat on the back from Lord Longford

Bobby

Reply to
Bobby Bewl

AIUI, this is already happening. However, if you are unemployable and in the black economy or a permanent migrant, you can run a 4 x 4 and not pay any fines, as it's more expensive to find and jail you, than to just turn a blind eye! I believe that in the cities, cloned number plates are already present in significant numbers, but no one is admitting it publicly.

Regards Capitol

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

But you'll rely on the NHS when you get run over by a Chelsea Tractor?

Reply to
Matt

It's actually far worse than that Huge.

If you are employed and the insurance is part of your remuneration package, then you will pay income tax on it as a benefit in kind. If you are not already at the employee's NIC limit, then there is NIC as well. The employer pays NIC anyway. Then there is insurance premium tax.

If one does make one's own arrangements like this and in effect unburdens the NHS of the cost of treating the patient, one is taxed extra on it. Muddled thinking. There should be tax relief on private healthcare premiums not a tax penalty

Reply to
Andy Hall

Some while ago, John Cleese was interviewed on the U.S. Jay Leno talk show. He was asked what he saw as different between the UK and the US. He replied:

- We speak English; you don't.

- When we hold a world series we remember to invite other countries.

- We go down on one knee when we greet our leader.

Reply to
Andy Hall

And fuel duty, rather than a vehicle tax, is a better way of discouraging *use*. Vehicle tax discourages ownership. (To the extent that either tax modifies behaviour.)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Given that Americans laugh at Jay Leno (I heard them, they really do!), did they actually find John Cleese's comments amusing?

Mr F.

Reply to
Mr Fizzion

Reply to
Mr Fizzion

Probably didn't understand....

Reply to
Andy Hall

Tobacco tax revenue currently stands at £7 billion a year compared with the £1.5 billion it allegedly costs to tackle 'smoking-related' diseases.

Dave

Reply to
david lang