What are Dremels for?

of
later.
Never tried. I see no reason why not.

I do. It's called throwaway economics.
Maintaining a spares inventory is an expensive business.
The large retailers are geared up to move product in volume and expect a certain rate of returns over a period of time. This is factored into their deal with their vendor. It happens in many volume distribution industries.
They then look at market conditions and apply what appears to be a very attractive 2-3 year warranty. This is all based on what they believe a court would award a complaining customer according to statute, plus a bit. During the warranty period, they expect a certain return rate and bin returned product up to a certain level. Beyond that level, they invoke contract terms with the vendor. The actual return percentage is a negotiated figure.
No spares provision is made, because it is cost. They calculate that a high percentage of customers after the warranty will throw away the product or not bother to complain, let alone take legal action.
So in choosing a product like this, the questions should be, "Am I prepared to write it off after the warranty period, and am I happy with the quality?" If the answers to those two are yes, and I am happy with the price amortised over the warranty period and the costs of going to get another, then it may be a reasonable buy. If not, then a fully supported product from a major manufacturer would have been a better option.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

matter
I can understand not carrying spares for "very" cheap power tools. The Screwfix German sounding offering is not cheap at all. Anything above 40 is not cheap at all. One thing is certain the Rotozip is no more and spare parts and bits "will" dry up or be very difficult and expensive to source to the point that most people will throw it away.

Misleading, isn't it?

Well.... Screwfix sell the Bosch Rotocut for 90. I agree that it's not cheap for its function, but at least one can get the spares........

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

I'm sure you can get them for the PP Pro units too.

You've tried?

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Have you?

Try a Google search using "Performance Power Pro" and "spares", "spare parts" or "service" and very little comes up - certainly nothing suggesting availability of either.
Do a search on www.diy.com for "service" - nothing.
I just called B&Q's head office. They gave me the number for the Performance Power help line. 0845 300 2577.
I called this number and asked about their service and spares arrangements. The person told me that they make no spares provisioning arrangements whatsoever for their tools, the reason being that they source from approximately 30 manufacturing houses, principally in the far east and it would not be cost effective for them to maintain spares or a service facility.
He did say that they provide a two or a three warranty and that the tool can be returned to the store for a replacement during that period.
I asked what happens after that. There was a silence then the person said that he supposed that I could go to a local repairer. I asked him where the repairer would get the spares from. Another silence. He then admitted that the tool is considered written off after the warranty period.
This precisely correlates with the scenario for own badge products sold by volume retailers that I described earlier. There's nothing wrong with that, but people should not imagine that they are getting an equivalent to a major manufacturer's product because they are not.......

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Did you check Ryobi? They should have a repair agent.

They *should* but I wonder if they do.
Anyway, it's irrelevant. B&Q is not taking responsibility for service beyond warranty and offers no alternative. That's fine, but they should make people aware of that before they buy the product. Ryobi may well be one of their 30 odd manufacturers. Who knows? By applying a private label, the tool is a Precision Power Pro one and the vendor (B&Q since they are the sole source) should take responsibility for it. Why should the customer have to play guessing games as to who the manufacturer really is. This is a total nonsense.
As I said, the warranty and price points are carefully set so that the customer would most likely not be successful in pursuing a Sale of Goods Act case against them.
I'm quite sure that they are meeting their statutory duties, but this is the second instance in two days where the discussion has been about a Kingfisher company's own brand tools and the discovery that there is not a service facility.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

I don't see anything terribly unusual about their practice though.

It would be a bit silly pursuing the likes of B&Q via SoGA if something was out of warranty.
A couple of points that I would make here are:
1) If the product is beyond its warranty period then I would draw a conclusion that maybe it's time to consider it as beyond economic repair. Whether that argument works for other people has no bearing for me - from my perspective EoW = replacement due.
2) In a DIY setting I imagine that most tools would see little use by the punter.
PoP

Not true! AIUI, the SoGA requires goods to be of merchantable quality - and to last for a "reasonable" time - where reasonable may well be deemed to be longer than the arbitrary warranty period offered by the manufacturer or supplier.

If you are using tools commercially, it probably makes sense to replace them when they get to the end of the warranty - because of time equating to money and all that. However, tools used for occasional DIY use only will not represent good value for money unless they last *considerably* longer than the warranty period. Being able to get spares and consumables for an extended period is therefore important to the D-I-Y-er.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

But you would then be dealing with someone's interpretation of what "reasonable" infers - that's where it gets a bit silly (IMHO).
Obviously a judge might come to the same conclusion as you. But then he might not. Unless you are talking about high value goods then it's most likely not worth more than writing letters to the company concerned - writing cheques to solicitors to represent the case would most likely not be a good idea as you would almost certainly pay for a replacement tool several times over.

Many tools bought in the DIY marketplace these days have a 3 year warranty (not all though). I would have said that 3 years isn't a bad span of time, even for occasional use tools.
PoP

You know that and I know that, but does the hapless punter buying these products? It still doesn't account for cases where things break or tools get dropped or dinged in use.
At the least, it should be made clear when buying that there are no spare parts and no service. That would be representing the product honestly.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Maybe I'm unusual in expecting my tools to last 15-20 years at the very least?!
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Not at all; but it is not likely to be achievable with DIY shed private label products.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

It depends.
I bought a DeWalt radial arm saw 25 years ago, and it is still going strong with zero defects in all those years of use. I feel I have got good value from that purchase. If it had lasted just 3 years I'd be narked.
But I have replaced my electric drill a couple of times over the same sort of period. And I don't feel that I have had poor service from the drills.
Horses for courses.
PoP

That is very close to what I have just said in another post in this thread, one has different expectations of different types of tools.

But you paid top bucks for that, and it is now outdated to what is available.

Please explain how a radial arm saw can be 'outdated'? Or perhaps you think that anything without a 'laser guide' is not worth buying?
--
*How much deeper would the oceans be without sponges? *