What an idiot

Was the Rayburn lit at the time?

Reply to
S Viemeister

I think it died out because parents rarely have the time to walk at toddler speed nowadays, and dump them in the pushchair instead.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Parents couldn't use reins these days, it's not possible to hold back a toddler and text at the same time.

Reply to
greyridersalso

Most certainly. I was alone in the house (all day) at the time and it was my task to keep it in.

Reply to
Tim Streater

They let any old rubbish go out on the web site. I think the print version is a little better proof-read. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

:-) the walking dead.

Reply to
stuart noble

On Thursday 22 August 2013 21:54 Artic wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I don't think he was expecting the whole wall to collapse. He probably thought he'd be taking it down one block at a time.

Reply to
Tim Watts

+1
Reply to
Baz

RIP the little girl. And thoughts go out to the Dad and family.

I was an accident.

Hindsight is easy.

Baz

Reply to
Baz

Roads up here (Aberdeenshire) are like the roads when I grew up 'down south' fifty years ago. My son, now aged 12, spent his toddler years firmly in reins, despite quiet roads.

Reply to
News

I'm sure, but there's plenty of scope for much lesser accidents in a situation like this, and you'd still want to keep kids away. Even a chisel or hammer falling off a low wall onto someone is going to hurt.

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

On Friday 23 August 2013 21:34 Jeremy Nicoll - news posts wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I was not expecting a piece of PVC to fracture off a but of gutter I was power sawing and fly past my eye. I'd cut enough before without incident.

The point being, we make risk assessments on the basis of what we know and expect. Just very occasionally it is possible, even without gross negligence to be very very unlucky.

This is not in the same league as the bloke taking the wall out from under a concrete roof.

I took the top 3ft off a brick gate pillar the other day - one brock at a time with a bolster. It went without incident - although I could clearly see that the immediate area was clear due to the position I was in.

Whilst it is easy in hindsight to say "waht a dick", looking at the wall, it was quite likely he was expecting to pop the blocks off one at a time without much fuss.

Reply to
Tim Watts

We did use reins with ours at times. There is a difference from dogs though, they mainly have to be on leads to stop them attacking people or animals - maybe we should reserve the reins for 16-25 year olds!

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

I had a stage weight that was vertical but at ground level, topple over onto my foot. Broke two toes.

Reply to
Tim Streater

An airfield is the last place you want to take a child.

Reply to
harryagain

Well now he knows why children are not allowed on construction sites and everyone else has to wear a hard hat and asfety boots. These people always think it won'y happen to them and they know better. He was definitely in the wrong. Pity the kid had to pay with her life. It's called being responsible.

Reply to
harryagain

Bloody nonesense. It was predictable, has happened before on many ocasions and he deserves to be prosecuted or his negligence.

Reply to
harryagain

Not so - they can be off the lead in parks etc. So it's to do with road safety.

Interesting logic. A dog has to be on a lead in case it causes an accident by running onto the road. A toddler not. Both would suffer more than the car.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

My little(ish) dog can be a bit aggresive with other dogs so it's best to keep him on a lead in parks. Besides most parks (officially) ask that dogs are kept on leads. I have a longish retracting lead so Charlie can sitill gad about a bit, as well as a long training line.

Not too far away there's a small slightly bleak beach where he loves to run about freely and even play amicably with the other odd dog.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Tell me, Harry, is it that you do it on purpose to get a rise from people or are your thought processes really this strange? Did you do a lot of LSD in the 60s? Or did you go in for a cosmetic lobotomy once? Maybe it's a comprehension issue - which also seems to affect anyone with Harry as a moniker. More likely tho, judging by other posts, it's simply this, which I see a lot in life: You're old and stupid but you use the former to insist the latter's not true.

So let's go back to your statements and take a sledgehammer to them, shall we? "Prosecuted for negligence." This bloke has caused the death of his child; in what way is being censured by a faceless bureaucracy going to make how he feels /worse/? And what could they possibly do that would teach him a better reminder should he ever face doing something similar again? Or do you envision him up some scaffolding thumping away at things with a carefree whistle even now?

Reply to
Scott M