What am I drilling into?

Recent project to hang some adjustable shelf units in the bedroom closet by screwing them into the old chimney bricks (the chimney comes up the middle of the closet).

So I was trying to drill holes about 2 inches deep for plastic plugs. I managed to get a few in before the drill bit hit SOMETHING which it could not penetrate - at all - in many places along the chimney (many feet apart but no clear pattern). The something was within 1 inch of the surface.

I was using a masonry bit which worked fine in other places/brick walls/etc.

I stopped drilling after hitting this in a few places, not wanting to make more of a mess if no good would come of it.

Any ideas what could be in there that is so hard? Some sort of stone or metal perhaps? I thought chimneys were just brick (1930's terraced house) but apparently not.

Thanks Dave

Reply to
david.hollman

Could well ne a steel support across the top of the chimney opening ....like a lintel

Reply to
Stuart B

Check the tip of the bit with a lens, usually they will collect some tiny metal particles if you have hit steel.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield