What a place to work

Let's start off with the important stuff - I wanted a brew as I had just driven for 2 1/2 hours.

Once WE had signed in (that is myself and an apprentice) watched the induction video, shown and signed our RAMS (risk assessment and method statements) and had them countersigned by their H&S manager we were allowed into the Colleagues Canteen for a brew. The Colleagues Canteens has notices on the wall warning people about acceptable behavior (the stuff that normal people do not need to be reminded of - such as it is wrong to abuse people because of their sex, gender, colour, religion etc) with a reminder that using social media for such abuse is also unacceptable against colleagues.

Other signs point out that the canteen is a self clean canteen and is monitored by CCTV. Action will be taken against anyone who does not clean up after themselves.

The tables in the canteen are littered with the weekly newsletter and this gives a small report of last weeks absences (both long and short tem) and says how much this has cost the firm. There is also a notice that as the warmer weather is arriving then colleagues are reminded that absences will be monitored to check that they do not coincide with the warmer weather patterns.

A notice on the door as you leave the canteen into the work area warns you to be careful about opening the door as colleague may be stood at the other side of the door (some sort of window is needed IMHO).

The list goes on - such as you can post letters to "The Peoples Team" or "The Voice team" etc depending what you would like to say.

On the plus side, WE broke 3 H&S rules and at least 8 of their R&Rs:-)

Reply to
ARW

If it sounds like Walmart and it looks like Walmart,

then it's probebly ASDA.

Reply to
Graham.

A French-owned multi-national technical services company, by any chance?

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

Graham. scribbled

Lutterworth ?

Reply to
Jonno

"Colleagues"? John Lewis? Oh no, that'd be "Partners".

Reply to
Bob Eager

Matthew & Son.

Reply to
Graham.

Would that not be a Netto?

Reply to
ARW

Jest ye not. This is my local Sainsbury's

Graham.

ASDA would be my guess too, from the word 'colleagues'

That's one's gone posh and turned into Waitrose, I thought Netto just had a handful of stores ooop'north?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Didn't Cat Stevens sing about them[1] ?

...I'm usually wrong. I'll get my coat. Where's the door?

[1]
Dennis Davis

Somebody has too much time on their hands obviously. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

... Be very careful about opening it as posters to the group may be stood at the other side

Reply to
Mike Clarke

Is there a weekly Iron Cross award for tidying up other peoples' rubbish?

Reply to
Paul Herber

I wonder which ones? I know you don't let the apprentice use social media on the job... ;-)

Reply to
Adam Funk

I doubt there were any H&S notices at Matthew & sons

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Is that like self clean windows?

I found a notice saying "any mugs left unwashed at 5 pm will be smashed" quite effective.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

My guess: German, Japanese or Indian owned.

Reply to
The Other Mike

ARW scribbled

ASDA George HQ

Reply to
Jonno

Bob Eager scribbled

"The Peoples Team" or "The Voice team" - that's ADSA.

Jonno

A few years ago we shot part of The Bill on a building site. The one where the old Wimbledon Football Stadium was - now housing. So fairly large.

Had to spend an entire morning having an H&S lecture by their management. Much of it about electrical safety.

We were shooting on a Sunday with the site closed down (as always on a Sunday). No construction etc work, public or visitors allowed in. And as usual in that sort of situation, all electrics supplied by our own electricians who also supplied the generator.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)