What a bell end

Guess who bought a new cooker without measuring the width of the old one?

The old one was 550mm wide and the new one is 600mm wide.

Reply to
ARW

angle grinder?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

How deep is it? Maybe it'll fit sideways-on. :-)

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Luckily, when we bought a new cooker the annoying 50mm gap between the old cooker and the worktop got filled up because the new one was 600mm instead of the 550mm of the old one.

But if we still had the old 50mm gap, I'd have been happy to let you have it for a pint and the postage.

Reply to
polygonum

Thanks:-) Have you considered eBaying the 50mm gap?

Reply to
ARW

Parked in the middle of the kitchen via a 30A JB for now.

Reply to
ARW

Ah - you spotted the gap in the market there, well done

Reply to
geoff

I think that was a market in the gap...

Reply to
polygonum

Cover it in whatever material as you have on the floor and I don't see why you can't just leave it there...

Reply to
Jules Richardson

What k*****ad did that?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I was not intending to buy a new cooker, I just saw one going cheap and as I could not be bothered to give mine its annual Christmas deep clean (the one where I strip it to bits and clean every part) I bought it. It will take me longer to alter the kitchen units than it would have done to clean the old cooker.

Reply to
ARW

Good god. Why do you do this - no-one else does (AFAIA)

tim

Reply to
tim.....

Maybe it's a good idea. My parents had a cooker that worked fine all year, but on three separate Christmas days, the fan seized and lack of airflow tripped the overheat cut-out at the back of the cooker. Disassembling the back of the hot cooker and cleaning and lubricating the fan bearings to continue cooking the turkey was not fun!

On the other hand, my wife and I have a gas oven, with no fan!

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

I've got a 2" gap knocking around somewhere, had it for ages. Does anyone know, are the old imperial gaps and the new metric ones compatible? Or do you need an adaptor?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

get someone to check Building Regs too - expect you'll need it certified as a real gap not a fake or (gasp) potentially a shoddily installed gap.....

Nanny's the word ;>)

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

We did that, though not quite so accidentally, in our last house: Bought a 900mm range cooker at a good price, that (unsurprisingly) didn't fit the 600mm gap. First job was to take a saw to a unit and worktop. Second step was to change the whole kitchen. The 'good price' for the cooker turned out quite expensive in the end (though we had been thinking about changing the kitchen anyway: It just pushed us into getting on with it.)

Reply to
GMM

To both you and tim. I have switched from a gas cooker to an electric cooker. I now have a nice and easy wipe clean surface and a fan oven:-) The old gas cooker was something the ex wife bought about 10 years ago and TBH it's design was crap as there were lots of nooks and cranies that can only be cleaned by stripping the cooker down. And one of the reasons I bought the new one is because I wanted a fan oven.

It only had an annual Christmas deep clean as that is the time of year I bought it. I do not cook Christmas dinner.

Reply to
ARW

Three eggs in a pan of boiling water. I was having egg butties for my lunch the next day. Three eggs in boiling water forgotten about. Then. Shit! Pan boiled dry, gripped with hand. Hand burnt. Pan slammed on worktop. Worktop burnt. Pan slammed into sink and cold tap turned on. Eggs exploded.

One new kitchen later .................

Reply to
Mr Pounder

I really really want to work out some way to make my tenants' cookers turn off if they step away from it. Maybe some sort of pressure pad on the floor connected to a gas valve...

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

Many moons ago, SWMBO announced that she a purchased a dishwasher - a real bargain.

We had discussed the purchase of a dish washer several times - and I claimed there was nowhere it could go.

SWMBO had worked it out - remove 100cm under sink unit, re manufacture into a 50cm unit, and Robert is your fathers brother.

Alas her cunning plan didn't allow for it being a one & a half bowl sink

- so we had to buy a new sink, which needed new worktop, which we couldn't match - so all the worktops had to be changed.

After re plumbing half the kitchen, I finally got the bugger installed - only to find out that the door leading into the conservatory couldn't now be opened. Removed the frame & spun the lot around.

Three days work, new sink, three new worktops - what a bargain that was :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman