Wet room doors.

I am contemplating a wet room. However, I then began wondering about suitable door into the rest of the house. Ideally, this would be reasonably insulating, as the wet room will be considerably warmer (heated normally to 30C, with extra insulation and heat exchange ventilation), as well as water resistant, and able to keep the water out of the rest of the house, in case of the door being sprayed.

Thoughts?

Reply to
Ian Stirling

I hadn't thought about it before, but it sounds like one of those rare instances where a UPVC door might be a good thing.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Hmm, that might just work. If I can find a not-too-hideous one.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

I am presently looking ito this problem myself. Originally I consdered a heavy duty opaque glass, a normal shower door being, in m opinion, too flimsy. I am now inclined to look for a GRP door, it would be a lot lighter and probably cheaper than the glass option.

Reply to
DJC

In a word, don't.

Reply to
s--p--o--n--i--x

What he said. They're a right royal pain.

Reply to
Huge

In a word, why? Seperate zone on the heating, set to 30C, extra insulation on floors/walls/ ceilings, high capacity heat exchanger air exchange, ...

Reply to
Ian Stirling

?

My two work fine. I cannot see what all the fuss is about.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Wet feet, treading talc out of the room, damp toiletries/towels, etc.

I rather fancied a wet room until we rented a holiday cottage with one, then I realised that they're totally impractical in our climate.

Reply to
Huge

SNIP >>I am contemplating a wet room.

I've got a cheapo pine door with a couple of coats of sealer on mine and it's fine. You've got to keep a wet-room well ventilated and if you're heating it and keeping the air moving (like with a humidistat fan) then most of the time it's dry and it doesn't matter if you spray the door with water everytime to you have a shower; it just dries off.

As for wetrooms in general, I think they're great. Just put in the biggest floor drain you can manage, and get the falls right. I didn't but I still think they're great.

Alistair

Reply to
Ali Mac

Ok, I'd answered most of those in the design. Heating and heat-exchanger air exchange should keep the air fairly dry, when the shower is not in use, and ensure quick drying when it's not.

Towel cupboard heated to 50C or so, with some seperate ventilation. Part of the design is also a warm-air drier, with serious flow. A seperate "foot drier" might be interesting.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

A "wet room". In this country. Nearly as bad an idea as underfloor heating.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Indeed, I have both, and in the same room.

Wouldn't swap it for the world.

The UF heating plus statutory extractor dries it very quickly.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher