Wet phone

What network is your SIM on?

Tesco Mobile =3D o2 and the phones seem to be mutually.

When I lost my mobile Tesco sent me a new SIM with the same number, transferred the credit, and I got the =A310 free top-up that came with the new phone.

You can get retractable lanyards (key reels) that are handy for stopping things disappearing down the loo.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

say that wrapping the rinsed phone in paper towel and putting it somewhere warm with cat litter can speed the drying process - apparently cat litter is, or acts like, silica gel so is a desiccant. It will still take a while though (a few days), so a cheapo phone on the same network will be the way forward for the moment.

Reply to
GMM

Why worry about a few stickers? The warranty is already toast, they have "water markers" dotted around in the phone.

Reply to
Andy Burns

My experience, and I come across these quite a lot. Dropped into clean water and sometimes dirty water.

I usually remove the battery and sim card and put all three in my small ultrasonic bath and give it several sesions with clean water and a drop of Fairy.

The phone will need at least 2 weeks on a hand warm surface to dry out, with as much of the case that can be removed. The sim card can be dried with a tissue. But there is a problem that no one else has raised. The contacts on the sim are gold plated, as gold does not corrode, but it can, under your circumstances develop a film that prevents it from talking to a phone. The solution is easy, just use a pencil eraser and gently wipe the contacts. When you have dried the original phone, do the same with the pins where the sim will sit.

Before that, get a PAYG and use that.

Reply to
Dave

Aaarrrgh don't use washing-up liquid. It's salty and highly corrosive. De-ionised water is all you need, as Richard Russell said.

Reply to
Andy Wade

WD-40 of course.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

No, distilled/de-ionised is the correct stuff in this case. IPA won't carry off the mineral deposits found in tap water.

The same method has been sucessfully applied to fixing keyboards that had suffered a coffee/tea "shower".

Reply to
Tim Watts

Yeah, I'd be a bit concerned about an ultrasonic bath knocking any tiny surface mount components off or looseing them...

As others have said remove battery and SIM, keep wet until you can dismantle as much as possible (outer casing off), rinse well under cold flowing water, blot dry and put somewhere warm for a few days to dry out. Dismantle and wash as soon as you can of course, don't leave it in a plastic bag for days...

Clean fresh water is rarely a serious problem. Sea water on the other hand...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I have a Nokia pay-as-you-go on Virgin and when the old one died, I bought a new one on Virgin from Carphone Warehouse and put my old SIM card in and it worked no problem. I also got Virgin to transfer the credit with my new phone to the old SIM.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

I wouldn't advise more water. My experience of the carbon elastomers for contact between PCB and LCDs and water isn't good.

I would suggest IPA for cleaning, and/or just leave a while somewhere warm with the phone dismantled as far as possible.

Reply to
Fredxx

Likewise my daughter has dropped her same phone down the pan twice.. Like Mike says the trick is not to turn it on as you risk the chance of the current going astray and frying some component (I'm sure there is technical jargon for that). Take everything out of it that can be taken out, battery, memory card, SIM etc. Leave it in drying cupboard or blast it with a hairdryer if you can't wait.

Has worked for me.

Reply to
Steven Campbell

definietely.

wash in alcohol for fastest fix, then dry in warm place for a few days.

SWMBO put a tv remote through the washing machine. Don't ask me how. It survived after total drying out.

pass.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In article , Mike P scribeth thus

Don't do like what some Paddy's did with some hand held mobile radios put them in the Microwave oven to warm 'em up .. and dry them out;!...

Reply to
tony sayer

I know nothing about flooded 'phones, but since I used to be into underwater photography (and still have my Nikonos) and therefore do know about flooded cameras (not that it ever happened to me) my advice would be to rinse the 'phone thoroughly with a mixture of ~10% IPA in distilled water, dismantle as far as possible and then dry for several days over low heat.

But frankly, given the replacement cost of 'phones, I'd chuck it away and get another.

Reply to
Huge

Do you know anything about anything? Try WD-40 on your own phone and report back.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Ah, you miss the irony. THM recomends WD40 as a fix all...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Perhaps time to buy something designed for rough use, like the Nokia

5500 Sport.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

And I'd really like to see him try it, so HE can report back...

There's a German pun in there somewhere...the Medway HANDYman....

I'll get me coat...

Reply to
Bob Eager

It's harry missing the brains when they were handed out that is the problem. Just see his other posts, such as diluted PVA as stain block, to see what I mean.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

SWMBO's Nokia recently survived a full 60-minute wash, rinse and spin. There's some slight shadowing under the screen and the microphone sensitivity seems a bit low, but otherwise, amazingly, it's OK. The back cover and battery came off in the washing machine so it got a thorough soaking.

If you don't have any silica gel try rice.

Reply to
Reentrant