Well, that was a satisfying result

I picked up two 240v mainframe cooling fans for 50p each at a car boot, with the idea to replace the inadequate ones I have had botched for a few years, to circulate heat from the oil burner in my garaage workshop.

I switched them for three speeds and off, Slow = both in series, medium = 1 on, high = both on. I wasn't sure how they might run in series, but they are fine. Mounted them on a neat frame and at last got around to making a tidier control panel for it, with an LED display for the burner temperature from a t/couple.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I modified some 110V kit to make it work on 220V. It had 5 110V fans, so I converted to two series pairs plus a new 220V fan. So far the only problem has been with the new 220V fan...

Reply to
docholliday93

The thing is with some of this old kit, it will run for many years they are so well built. I used a 3 pole 4 way wafer switch and it is long time since I last had to work one out, I couldn't even think how to start working it out. Anyway, it worked :-)

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I remember having to specify bespoke multipole rotary switches - the suppliers' data sheets were dreadful, and it was all done using arcane codes. Sometimes we got what we wanted...

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

yerrs. The came a point at which a single pole switch, a PIC and some reed relays suddenly was much cheaper.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

At around 15, i got a brilliant idea to build myself digital clock, using those numister neon displays and a series of wafer switches driven by a clock motor. I couln't get it to wor, but it kept me occupied for weeks. :D

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Around 15 I was involved in the school project to make an automatic bell-ringer. Used a cylinder of aluminium with holes into which screws were placed to indicate bell-ringing times, a stepper to rotate it, a multiple divider to get from mains frequency to a suitable rate for stepping, ...

All good fun. Most metal parts cast or made by us.

Reply to
polygonum

These days you can go to the manufacturer's website, build up a virtual version, test it operates correctly and then it'll give you the appropriate ordering code.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW