Well, that was a result then ... !

A few weeks back, I put some new laminate floor down in my kitchen. The doorway from the hall to the ktchen already had a B&Q curved-top aluminium threshold across it that I was able to re-use. It's the type where the 'cap' piece plugs into a channel that you set under the laminate edge. I also have the exact same thresholds at all of the other doorways leading off the hall. However, the threshold between the kitchen and utility, was a different older type that interfaced the previous kitchen laminate to vinyl in the utility room. I am intending carrying on through with the kitchen laminate, so I figured that I would replace the threshold now with one that matched all of the others, and just put a temporary scrap piece of laminate the other side, until I got round to doing it. So, I purchased a threshold the same as all the others I had, at the local B&Q store.

When I got it out of its packet however, I was dismayed to find that it is no longer made of metal. It is now plastic with plastic 'aluminium-look' tape stuck on it ! I had to go ahead and use it to protect the edge of the new laminate, but I immediately contacted their head office customer service to tell them that I didn't think that this change of material was on, especially seeing as it was the same price as the original metal one, and telling them that I didn't think that it was going to stand being walked on for long, without damage.

I had a quick-ish reply saying that my 'complaint' had been passed on to the appropriate department, and that they would be in touch. Of course, three weeks later, I was still waiting. In the meantime, someone in the family had managed to scuff the tape, so that the base plastic now shows through. So I mailed the original customer service girl who had replied to me, and told her that I had not had a reply from anyone else, and that the threshold was indeed now damaged.

Imagine my surprise when half an hour later, this girl actually RANG ME !! and said that she was going to contact the store on my behalf, and get it sorted. A few minutes later, I got another e-mail from her confirming that she had spoken to the flooring manager, and he would be in touch. A few minutes after that, the phone rang again, AND IT WAS HIM !!

After discussing the issue at length, he reckoned that he might still have some of the metal ones out the back, and he offered to come to my house - in his own time even, if necessary - and take a look. We arranged for him to come this morning and, good to his word, he turned up with another lad in tow. They had a look at my damaged threshold, agreed that it was a poor substitute for the other metal ones that I had bought from them in the past, then went back to their car, and returned with a nice new metal one in their hand.

So, just for a change, in contrast to the B&Q horror stories that appear on here from time time, this time they came through, and did everything that I would have wanted a company to do, to resolve an issue like this. Well done to them, I say !

But to anyone else reading this who goes to buy one of these thresholds, beware. The manufacturer has now fully changed over to plastic for them, so that's what you'll get.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Good result and well done to B&Q but who in their right mind thought that plastic with a faux aluminium surface would do for something that would be walked on day and daily .

Reply to
fictitiousemail

The accountants?

Reply to
Roger Mills

It looks like it was the manufacturers who changed the spec, not B&Q, as it is not a B&Q - specific product. It seems from what I can gather, that B&Q themselves were not aware that this change had been made, so perhaps in the long run, I'll have done us all a favour by bringing it to their attention. Since posting here, I also sent a mail to the customer service girl thanking her for her efforts, and to let her know that the matter had now been resolved to my total satisfaction. She has replied with a very nice mail, so I think I have made her day by letting her know that she is appreciated. Being in the service sector myself, as well as expecting to get this kind of resolution to an issue, I think it is also important to give praise where due, to people who go out of their way to help. No matter what we think of a company corporately, it must be difficult for the people at the sharp end, and must get very wearing to be dealing with nothing but irate customers all day ... :-)

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

If only it could always be like this. I don't understand crappy customer service, everyone directly involved is unnecesssarily aggravated and the potential for further trade is harmed. I wonder if some of the bigger companies think there are enough mugs who will put up with poor service and still return to spend.

Reply to
R D S

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember R D S saying something like:

In the good times, yes. Nowadays the survivors will be the ones who give a toss.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon