Well that's the most bastardy bit of the plumbing done...

A quick way to know its all hot enough is to apply the solder to the opposite side of the pipe from where you were heating.

Yup good plan - I tend not to fit many clips before I have soldered it up, but sometimes you need one or two.

Can't say I was that keen myself either, but she was in hospital following a fall, and needed to come home to a place with a easy access shower, rather than a cramped 1930's bathroom. So I was going to get lumbered one way or another - so it was easiest to co-opt a retired builder I know to go do it with me, than trying to organise others to do it.

Its surprising how annoying even computers can be when you have just wiggled into the right space through a hole in the the floor, and someone else rings to ask you what their email password is ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

OK. I was confuse but the Youtube vid. It was an English bloke, not american.

I have to make a manifold - a length of 22mm with mains in one end, boiler feed out the other and 7 tees with isolation valves for all the take offs (this cupboard under the stairs is very central - it makes sense to run direct feeds to everything, star topology.

I need it clipped to make sure it's soldered in a plane, but I am worried about solder running down the pipe right where I need to make a compression joint. So I am building it in the shed on a horizonatl bit of ply, then plan to clip it up as one unit.

Ah - your Xmas list needs to add "Bluetooth earpiece" :)

I guess it's difference you you run your own business but I've trained my lot to use a ticketing system (Jira - it's actually very good) - even for password resets[1]. In return I try really hard to clear the trivial stuff quickly.

[1] Since I rebuilt the LDAP server and added MIT Kerberos, I wrote a perl script that issues a 7 day password and emails it to the user with a link to a web page where the can choose a new one using the short lived temporary PW.

Can't tell you how many hours that has saved over the last 2 years!

Reply to
Tim Watts

Well, it held 1.5 bar for 20 minutes pneumatic without the gauge shifting.

Now testing at 2.5 bar.

Won't go any higher as pneumatic testing is not the safest way, but it's not easy to fill this pipe with water.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Another trick I heard is to put a bend in the solder so you know how much you have used.

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson