well off topic - PC has "died"

Oh yes. I remember reading the original PC BIOS listings back in 1983 or so. They used to store the return link in a register to fake a subroutine call one level deep - until the RAM had been tested.

Still have that listing somewhere.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I don't know whether the generic PCs do this, but I certainly put that in the BIOS of the non-compatible I was responsible for.

Start by testing CPU registers. Then checksum ROM. Then check 1st 64k. I don't remember all the steps it was a while ago.

If something fails:

- Hope the buzzer is working, and poke some beeps at it. Make sure the code won't hang if the beeper isn't working.

- Repeat the test for ever, so HW engineer can investigate with an oscilloscope.

And as Bob says, registers will probably do for a short call stack. If they're working that is...

And back to Sweetheart, whose eyes are probably popping out!

Take the memory out, glare at it, and put it back. Then try the graphics card. Do NOT do this while wearing nylon (the static electricity will kill the computer). In fact best to do it in a short sleeve shirt and keep an elbow touching the case as you work. Switch off at the mains, or unplug if you prefer.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

I bought a cheap (about a tenner) kit on eBay which allows any hard drive

- 2.5" or 3.5" - to be used as an external USB drive.

Reply to
Bob Martin

Well get the hard drive out and hook it up to get the data off at least before trying anything else. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Presumably 'any' is limited to one or two flavours of IDE-type interface? ;-)

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Not usually, my cheapo adapter will fit normal IDE, laptop IDE and SATA drives.

Reply to
Andy Burns

So did I, but sadly mine just borked any HDD which you inserted into it. Do you happen to have a link to the one you bought as I wouldn't mind another (working) one for my Blue Peter Useful Box

David

Reply to
Lobster

Oh, bugger... :o)

Reply to
Zapp Brannigan

Took me 10 seconds :

Bob Martin

Err, I think the OP means their desktop is broke so they are accessing t'internet via a laptop.

As others have said all is probably not lost, stick the HDD in an external USB caddy and copy data to laptop then google beep codes for ill PC.

I would just like to thank everyone for their help. It proved to be a graphics card. Cost £20 for a replacement. OH fixed it. in. It was clear where the problem was as the card was scorched.

Reply to
sweetheart

Good to see much-maligned OH is good for something :-)

Reply to
Clive George

+1 :P

Andy