Well, its sort of DIY

I'm looking for a free (if poss) drawing package where I can bend words (in the graphical, not dennis sense) and fill the letters with e.g. one colour at the top and another at the bottom

Its part of a DIY project, 'onest, yer 'onner

Reply to
geoff

The Medway Handyman

Word art in word will so that...

Reply to
John Rumm

geoff coughed up some electrons that declared:

Possibly GIMP - certainly you can run text in any font round an arbitrary path (derived from something else or drawn with beziers).

There are pattern fills which may be persuaded to do a gradient fill - not sure, haven't gone in that direction much with GIMP - I usually just fix up my photos in it.

Inkscape makes gradient fills easy, but I'm not sure if that will let you bend text.

Both are free.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

I'll revisit it then,

I was too quick to dismiss Word it would seem

thanks

Reply to
geoff

Well obviously. I was going to say just that...

:-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

In message , Tim S writes

Tried that - I'm obviously too thick to do it

OK - I'll look at that, cheers

What a palarva for a 'kin T-shirt with a joke that nobody will understand anyway

Reply to
geoff

If you want free then the OpenOffice.org application includes FontWorks which allows you to distort and colour text as you wish. If you want something fancier, then Google Sketchup and Inkscape both give you options for different types of distortion, extrusion, effects, fills, material, shaders etc.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Buy a few white t-shirts and scrawl exactly that on them in marker pen - I bet you could sell 'em :-)

Reply to
Jules

Its a bit limited - but it can do a number of present distortions and fills.

If you want something custom, then let me know and I can knock it up in photoshop or illustrator.

Reply to
John Rumm

It does - I designed a frisbee with text wrapping around it a while ago, although ISTR I had murder getting the place producing them to read the file... think it had to be re-loaded in Illustrator and resaved.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Inkscape is a free software package for drawing line art (*). A solid fill of an outline is where the outline is, um, filled with a single solid colour. A gradient fill is where the colour changes. For example, light blue at the top to dark blue at the bottom. Bending text is drawing the outline of text characters to follow a curve. What else didn't you understand?

*: I'm simplifying here. It does more (of course).
Reply to
Martin Bonner

Drop shadows and transparencies, whilst you are doing so well..;-) Oh and pattern fill..that's a nice one.

Take some letters and dint fill and remove outline, use them to make a 'stencil, in a white sheet..scan some nice woodgrain in..slip teh bitmap behind and cut the letters out, then add a bit of drop shadow..looks like embossed or machined wooden letters..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It was the GIMP bit

The Medway Handyman

it must have been remembering your favourite searches ;-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Had a play today and the job's done and dusted

just a matter of looking in the correct place

cheers

Reply to
geoff

Could have been better, the red / white of the Indonesian flag on the lettering didn't work too well, but ...

The weak joke being "Saya tidak tahu" - I don't know, so

"What's it say on your T-shirt?"

"I don't know"

Worse jokes exist ...

Reply to
geoff

Reply to
geoff

Well I suppose that's one way of getting a gradient colour fill over the letters...

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

not quite. Download and have a play: