Well done John Rumm

A couple of weeks ago I posted about a tripping MCB

. John suggested that it could be a fault where the 100m of cable was acting like an aerial causing the MCB to trip.

I replaced the MCB and it's stopped tripping, so I guess that John's diagnosis was right!

Thanks for all the replies, and especially to John - this group really is a wealth of knowledge!

Reply to
Bodgit

Illogical captain.

Reply to
dennis

Dennise, you are complete wanker and you never read the original thread.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Hmmm. Now - who would I think was the more knowledgeable? John Rumm or Dennis aka Count Arthur Strong?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

No, you misunderstood there

Illogical captain is denise's new handle

he just didn't have anything to say (which we should all applaud)

Reply to
geoff

Correct diagnosis, wrong explanation - I meant to comment at the time. MCBs don't contain any electronics; certainly there's no sensitive amplifiers that could be affected by any normal level of EM interference picked up on the cabling. This is simply a case of the tripping mechanism having got a bit trigger-happy, I suggest.

Reply to
Andy Wade

don't contain any electronics; certainly there's no

interference picked up on the cabling. This is simply a

I've learned such a lot from John over the years, I couldn't possibly contradict him. I am sure what he meant to say is that the mechanism of MCB had been contaminated with metallic particals and effectivly turned it into a coherer ;-)

Reply to
Graham.

That was a fantastic post Maxie. Truly brilliant.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Correct. The cable was acting like an aerial? Then replace the MCB, not the cable, and all is well? That tells me the MCB was duff. Nothing to do with an aerial.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

He knows nothing about heating systems though.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

He knows not to use a hacksaw to cut plasic pipe.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Yup, I would have to agree...

Just re-read the thread and noted that the head end MCB was a bog standard thermo-magnetic jobbie - the RCBOs etc were at the other end.

Or possibly one that has been damaged by some trip event in its history, or is perhaps under some mechanical stress in its enclosure.

Reply to
John Rumm

don't contain any electronics; certainly there's no

interference picked up on the cabling. This is simply a

I would rather you did - I am not immune from making mistakes, failing to read exactly what was written, or misinterpreting something, the same as anyone else.

Nope I will cop for brain fart... ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

He doesn't. I do.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

The post was from geoff, where do you get the name of Maxie from? You idiot.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

For some reason Drivel thinks it hilarious to call Geoff 'Maxie'. Nobody knows why. Not even Matron.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

We all know that you do. That is why any pipework you have installed leaks.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Many years ago, adam / drivel / IMM / etc went through a "miniMe phase

I think it's what he seems to think passes for a joke

He also seems to confuse the sarong I'm wearing in this photo for a skirt

geoff

In message , Doctor Drivel writes

Err no, it would seem you don't

Who was it flooded a house ?