Welding recommendations

Loking to buy a welder, do i go for ARC or MIG for light DIY use. please could you recommend a product and why.
Thanks
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 8 Jan 2004 05:51:45 -0800, chip snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (ian) wrote:

bottle not those namby pamby little ones . Stuart
--

"YESTERDAY is history,TOMORROW is a mystery,TODAY is a gift

That is why it is called the present "
βœ–
On 08/01/2004 ian opined:-

It depends what you want or expect to weld. For around 3mm upwards in thickness I use an ARC welder. If you want to weld things like car bodies then the only thing to use is MIG. An ARC welder will just blow holes in thin material.
I have both in my garage and the MIG only rarely gets used.
--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT)...
βœ–
On 8 Jan 2004 05:51:45 -0800, chip snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (ian) wrote:

Definitely wire-feed MIG. Stick is fun, but pretty useless for under 1/4" plate.
You've got budget-related options:
S/H cheapie. Maybe £50. Gets you started.
New cheapie. Probably a lousy wire feed, but it works and will fix your rusty Escort. Disposable bottles are expensive if you're using it a lot, or intermittently (they don't store well once opened)
£300 - Cebora. Starts to be a really decent machine. Cheap too, because the consumable costs get a _lot_ cheaper once you're into this range.
£500 - Gurt big Murex or something.
Avoid SIP.
Gasless wire is sometimes handy for outdoor use, but it's expensive wire to buy and you need a machine that can run it. Personally I don;t touch the stuff.
Gibson's "Practical Welding" <(Amazon.com product link shortened)> is a book well worth having, and so is an automatic hat. You'll also like a halogen floodlight, an angle grinder, and more clamps than you ever think you'll need.
Look at evening classes too. Often a good bargain and you get your hands on full-size kit to see what it's like. -- Smert' spamionam
Add pictures here
βœ–

have SIP MIG welders who are very happy with them. My £160ish SIP 130 amp welder works well for me and the wire feed seems reliable.

allows you to do both gas and gasless MIG welding with the same welder.

Yes, best thing ever for all sorts of welding is an automatic helmet.

--
Chris Green

Add pictures here
βœ–
On 8 Jan 2004 15:19:26 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk wrote:

I had the same answers when I asked. ;-)
These are crap, well mine's ok, those are crap, well mine's ok etc. etc. :-)
Mark S.
Add pictures here
βœ–

MIG - if you can run a good bead with a mastic gun you can MIG weld - that simple
Arc - if you can draw a reasonable portrait with a pencil held at the wrong end you can Arc weld - can be very frustrating and some people never get the knack.
Want to build trailers = Arc Want to mend car bodies = MIG
Arc = sooo cheap to buy & use (£50)
MIG can be expensive if u use Argon mixes I use CO2 as I don't weld Aluminium = cheap
Some don't like CO2 cos of spatter but I don't mind cos the welds are either not on view or are ground flat anyway.
I use this http://tinyurl.com/25uqh
but I've used things like this http://tinyurl.com/ystqs and got metals to stick together
as everyone says you must get an auto helmet don't consider welding without one
Add pictures here
βœ–
"Chris Oates" <none> wrote in message

lol. Arcs are way cheaper but are not as easy to use, and leave a lot of hard mess all over the weld that has to be hammered off. Thats your basic choice.
One thing I would look out for is welders that go to low current settings. For thin metal sometimes that even the lowest current setting is too high.
Gasless wire is the simplest and nearest to idiot proof, but of course it costs if you use it much.
Finally you can make your own, but theyre so cheap that its usually not worth bothering.
Regards, NT
Add pictures here
βœ–
Buy a small (130amp) mig. It'll do most DIY type jobs. Make sure you never use gasless mig wire though cos the fumes are awful and can cause cancer. Use a gas bottle. You can but small bottles of CO2 or argon mix but at around £8 each they're expensive. You can use pub gas (CO2) but it's not brilliant as the bottle could contain water. OK for the odd job though.

Add pictures here
βœ–