Welding mask - necessary?

For a small arc welder for a small job, is a mask really necessary? The spark doesn't look any brighter than starting at a bright lightbulb.

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

It is very necessary. You don't need anything fancy though. A simple hand held shield will do.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Ah. That explains why you can't see the difference between various types of lamps.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It all a big conspiracy by elf'n'safty... you're no wimp, try it without.

(and when the nice lady in A&E mentions "arc eye", you can tell her not to be silly, because you looked real close, and could not see any UV, so obviously there was none there!)

Reply to
John Rumm

Yurp, weld flash is no joke.

Reply to
Apellation Controlee

People tell you not to look at the sun, that does no harm either. I could believe that long term it might damage your eyes....

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

I have perfect eyesight according to doctors.

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

On Saturday 07 December 2013 16:33 Muddymike wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Particularly if you don't want to get a painful case of arc-eye and possible long term eye damage!

Reply to
Tim Watts

If it's from the UV, would you not also get sunburn on your face then? If you go out in the sun, your face gets burnt long before anything happens to your eyes.

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

The trouble is you can't see the workpiece through it very easily. I'm talking about a single one off small job here, not welding all day.

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

It doesn't look brighter than a lightbulb (this is a small welder), and UV would give me sunburn on my face before it damaged my eyes surely?

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

If you are intent on being a plonker and don't believe the warnings given here by all means at you own risk go ahead and give your self arc eye. It is VERY painful and as other have said can have lasting consequences.

But as an already reduced to one eyed Cyclops as I am, if you do, I think that you are an utter fool and don't see why the NHS should be burdened with idiots like you.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Yes!

but DAMHIKT

Avpx

Reply to
The Nomad

If the answer is yes, then what is the problem? You stop welding when your face is red.

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

You can't see how bright it is - it saturates the recepters. You can't see the UV components at all.

Different UV wavelengths and intensities have different effects.

Many years ago when gyms might have had high-bay mercury vapour lamps, one of the hazards was the outer bulb breaking (e.g. hit by a ball or similar). The lamp seems to carry on working, but somewhat dimmer.

After about half an hour in the gym, typically just as the players are leaving, they would start to detect stinging in their eyes. The timing is such that showering was sometimes blamed. Later in the day/evening, badly bloodshot eyes, and serious stinging. This was all due to the UV exposure caused by the missing outer glass bulb in the gym. UV exposure such as this is known to lead to early onset cateracts, and a contributor to macular degeneration.

The lighting problem required a change to the design of mercury vapour lamps. The wires inside the outer bulb were changed such that they burn out on exposure to oxygen, so that a mercury vapour lamp with a smashed outer bulb (which normally stops the UV) will quickly burn out and stop the lamp working.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

But I've been dazzled by things, and it wasn't dazzling. Perhaps it's because it's such a small point?

P.S. I ignored the "you must wear special glasses" when watching the solar eclipse around 2000, and never fell foul (fowl?) of anything.

I see.

Well thanks for about the only sensible reply in the thread. I shall use a mask.

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

yep, caught a case or arc-eye once from accidentally striking arc while I was moving to get in better position ... hurts like hell.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Just from ONE arc for a few seconds? That can't be true. I've often watched people welding for a couple of minutes.

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

Well there's your answer - don't bother with a mask.

Reply to
Mentalguy2k8

I'm welding for more than a few seconds.

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger