Welding mask - necessary?

My neighbour happens to have an electric welder I can borrow.

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

Yawn...

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

More cover passes sounds about right, I'll try that. Strange it was just one particular join that was weak.

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

On Saturday 07 December 2013 18:22 Mentalguy2k8 wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I caught a 1 second flash from a PCB exposure box (with no sodding interlock!) and it diminished the colour perception in one eye for some months.

Reply to
Tim Watts

How powerful are those things?

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

Not for much longer if you continue to look directly at an arc.

Why don't you ask the same doctor what he thinks of you not wearing any mask while arc welding?

Reply to
Fredxxx

I wouldn't for a long time, I was just wondering whether short term exposure was bad.

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

He would likely do the same to that advice as all the good advice he has had here. Scorn and ignore it.

Reply to
polygonum

Oh do pay attention at the back.

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

Yes and also gloves. The UV can give you skin cancer. The arc can burn a hole in your retina and lead to other blindness related complaints in later life. The fumes from welding rods are very toxic, so as a minimum, always weld in a well ventilated space. Prduction welders have a system that whipsaway the fume sinstantly.

I did see this Arab once using a welder by viewing the arc through his closed eyes. Out on the street in Cairo.

Reply to
harryagain

Its the UV not what you see. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

So can sunbathing, but we do that anyway.

I shall wear a visor.

Yes, extractor fan on.

That would work. Sunburn on the eyelids isn't that bad.

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

It's just odd that your eye gets the worst of it and not your face's skin. Yet if you lie in the sun your face gets it first. Then again you don't stare at the sun for a few hours, your eyes are closed most of the time you lie on a beach.

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

Good luck on finding a mask that will fit over the nob on your forehead:-)

Reply to
ARW

You're just jealous I can satisfy twice as many women as you.

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

You would need a big bed to get all six of them in.

Reply to
ARW

It's the bit you cannot see that also cause the damage. What is the time between your skin going red and you realising that you have been in the sun too long?

Reply to
alan

ROFL! Good one. Now provide proof.

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

Zero.

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

They were all ugly and fat, but it did not matter as I was wearing beer goggles to protect my eyes from the glow of my welding rod as I did the welding.

So what will you be arguing about next week?

Reply to
ARW