Weird toilet cistern problem.

I recently bought a "Barcelona" range bathroom suite from B&Q. I left the toilet free-standing away from the wall until the tiling was complete.

Now I find that when I push the toilet back against the wall, it doesn't sit flush against the wall - it leans forwards. i.e. there is a gap of almost an inch at the top of the cistern even though the bottom is touching the wall.

I've un-coupled and re-couled the cistern and pan a dozen times as per the instructions, but with no change. Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong?

Both parts seem to fit together just fine with no gaps.

Or does anyone else have this same brand of toilet and confirm that theirs is ok?

Mark.

Reply to
mark.hannah

I recently bought a "Barcelona" range bathroom suite from B&Q. I left the toilet free-standing away from the wall until the tiling was complete.

Now I find that when I push the toilet back against the wall, it doesn't sit flush against the wall - it leans forwards. i.e. there is a gap of almost an inch at the top of the cistern even though the bottom is touching the wall.

I've un-coupled and re-couled the cistern and pan a dozen times as per the instructions, but with no change. Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong?

Both parts seem to fit together just fine with no gaps.

Or does anyone else have this same brand of toilet and confirm that theirs is ok?

Mark.

Reply to
mark.hannah

Would this be deliberate to enable it to be fitted to the wall before tiling and yet allow tiles to go behing the cistern at the top and allow the lid to come on and off with ease?

Just a thought

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

I hope not! I don't think they can assume that everyone will be fitting it to a wall which will be tiled after the toilet is fitted.

The other weird thing is that the cistern doesn't have any holes to allow it to be screwed to the wall. My plan was to put a few beads of silicone on the back of it before pushing it against the wall.

Mark.

Reply to
mark.hannah

It's either your floor that is out, or the wall. If the top is away from the wall then you need to lift the front of the toilet up a bit. If that doesn't work then you might find the wall isn't flat. I *HATE* doing DIY as I have never found a house that has a level floor or even flat and square walls.

Reply to
TKelly

I've checked that the floor is square to the wall. It's definetley the cistern that is "leaning".

Mark.

Reply to
mark.hannah

Hi You should have 2 fixing holes in the top of the cystern to fix to the wall,but as for the gap this should be able to be ajusted by loosening the 2 fixing screws between the pan & cystern and gently rotating it on the rubber washer between the cystern and pan.(the big do-nut rubber washer)

HTH

CJ

Reply to
cj

You have got a big doughnut washer I presume?

Reply to
John

Yep, big doughtnut washer is present and correct.

Reply to
mark.hannah

Tried this loads of times. As soon as I tighten up the screws, it juist pulls forwards again. :-(

Mark.

Reply to
mark.hannah

Depending on the type of donut washer (sometimes neoprene foam), once it is squished it will not always resume its shape. If you tightened up when away from the wall, or left it a bit loose, it probably leaned forward under gravity and this has deformed the washer. You may need to get a new donut from the plumbers merchant. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Just spoke to B&Q's supplier - they have told me that it's supposed to be like this and isn't mean to fit against a wall!! Note to anyone else to avoid this range.

Mark.

Reply to
mark.hannah

Hi sounds like b**ls*+t to me the cystern isn't stong enough to support it's own weight plus 20/30 lbs water on just 2 thin screws but will make a note to look at the range next time I visit . If it is right will certainly avoid it..

CJ

Reply to
cj

You have fitted the pan too close to the wall. Move it forwards and all will be cured.

Andy.

Reply to
Andy

Check for 90 degrees between the floor and the wall. Then check for 90 degrees between the bottom of the toilet and the back of the cistern..

Reply to
Dave Gordon

I fitted a new WC last year and the cistern is only fixed by the two screws holding it down on the pan.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Watson

between the bottom of

This is the problem - got a perfect 90 degrees between the floor and the wall. But between the pan and the cistern - about 85 degrees - hence the cistern is leaning forwards with no way to straighten it. If I start with the wing-nuts loose, then I can position it an 90 degrees to the horizontal - but once I tighten the wing-nuts up, it gets pulled back to 85 degrees.

To be fair, B&Q have been very helpfull here - they gave me a replacement cistern last night and told me to bring the whole lot back if there is still a problem. The new cistern was a bit better (probably about 87.5 degerees to the horizontal). However, this cistern was a very slightly different shape from the original one - so the original cistern lid won't fit it. It's definetely the same make and model - the difference is very subtle - just a few mm (if that) but it's enought to stop the lid fitting.

This all indicated to me that the supplier has been having molding problems and the staff have been told to claim that it's a deliberate design feature when Joe public calls up with a complaint.

Mark.

Reply to
mark.hannah