Weird freeze!

In our conservatory we have a beer chiller sitting on top of the freezer. Alas no beer in it at present, but 2 small cans of Morrisons own label Red Bull.

Just opened it to find one of the cans on its side, frozen absolutely solid. The liquid had expanded to the point where the ring pull had been forced off the can.

The other can - right next to it - was perfect - I'm drinking it now.

6 bottles of Lucosade also perfect.

How the 'kinell did that happen?

The truth is out there......

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Alas no beer in it at present, but 2 small cans of

The liquid had expanded to the point where the ring

Was the frozen one standing directly on the Peltier device which usually corresponds to a cut-out in the base of the cooler's interior?

Or is it a conventional fridge?

Reply to
Graham.

Admit it, you're rather pissed already and imagining things - another drama queen night coming on eh?

Reply to
Unbeliever

In message , The Medway Handyman writes

There was recently an episode of Mythbusters where they took various carbonated drinks down to just above their freezing point. Then they mechanically shocked the container and due to the release of CO2 the temperature dropped just enough to freeze the contents. Looked impressive.

Not sure it is the answer in your case, but why had the can fallen over? Was it due to the frozen content over balancing it, or it falling for another reason and freezing??

Spooky. Upset any poltergeists recently?

Reply to
Bill

Yup, some spooky old git just posted before you!

Reply to
John Rumm

Perhaps they were both super cooled to below freezing, but only one had a suitable nucleation point[1] for ice crystals to start forming.

[1] Freezing normally needs a trigger point for the first crystal to form. This can be a spec of dust or other impurity, a shock, a scratch in the can etc.

May have a lower freezing point and hence not be affected.

Reply to
John Rumm

One of two things, the cans had different internal pressure or contents and therefore differing freezing points, or the expansion caused minute hole which then causes the phenomenon discussed in mythbusters.

Reply to
F Murtz